- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHRIST CHURCH, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1055997.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 26-Feb-2021 at 11:03:51.
- Statutory Address:
- CHRIST CHURCH, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
- Whitchurch Rural
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 57874 40218
WHITCHURCH RURAL C.P. CHURCH LANE, Ash Magna
SJ 54 SE
2/24 Christ Church
Parish Church. 1836, by George Jenkin, extended in 1901, and porch altered c.1918. Red brick with grey sandstone ashlar and some red sandstone ashlar dressings. Slate roof. 6-bay nave and partly integral west tower, in a Lancet style. One-bay chancel of 1901, in a Decorated Gothic style. Tower: 2 stages externally. Chamfered plinth, diagonal buttresses to first stage with 3 closely-spaced chamfered stone offsets, and section of west front corbelled out with chamfered offset above and square stone panel with circular inner panel (possibly intended for clock) and trefoil-panelled spandrels. Coved stone string course to battlemented parapet with chamfered stone coping and panelled and crocketed corner pinnacles. Paired louvred chamfered lancets to belfry with stone cills. Porch beneath tower: double chamfered west archway with moulded bases and capitals and hoodmould with carved stops (inscription to inner chamfer: "Enter into His Gates with Thanksgiving"). Interior of porch has west doorway with 4-centered arch and 4-panelled door with quatrefoil panels to base. Panelled oak side benches and 1914-18 war memorial (in memory of Ivor Bulkeley). Walls lined as ashlar. Nave: chamfered stone plinth, buttresses with chamfered corners and 3 closely-spaced chamfered stone offsets, corbelled eaves, and parapeted gable ends with chamfered stone copings. Small-paned cast- iron windows with intersecting tracery (2 windows replaced with stained glass in late C19), chamfered reveals and painted stone cills. Circular quatrefoil panels with central uncarved shield in western bays to north and south. Chamfered-arched north doorway in north-western bay with pair of 2-panelled Gothic doors. Chancel: chamfered stone plinth, corbelled eaves, and parapeted gable end with shaped stone kneelers, chamfered stone coping and cross at apex. Triple-chamfered lancets to east with chamfered brick sub-cill and continuous hoodmould with carved stops. Windows to north and south consisting of 2 trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil in tracery, hollow-chamfered reveals and returned hoodmoulds. Interior: alterations and additions of c.1900 and 1936. Nave walls lined as ashlar. Windows with double-quirked beaded corners. 4-bay nave roof of 1836. Bolted collar and tie-beam trusses with queen struts and raking struts; brackets with pierced sexfoils in spandrels. Pairs of purlins and boarded soffit. Small chamfered rectangular opening in west wall above gallery. Panelling at west end of nave with unfluted pilaster strips, dated 23rd October 1936 (centenary). Three Gothic west doors with 1936 surrounds consisting of fluted Ionic pilaster strips. Circa 1836 west door with decorative strap hinges,and 4-panelled outer doors. West gallery on pair of fluted Ionic square posts (1936 alteration) and arcaded Gothic-panelled front. Three chamfered four-centered arched west doorways to gallery. C19 or early C20 Gothic dado panelling to nave and chancel, nave panelling to right of chancel arch is inscribed as a 1914-18 war memorial. Chamfered four-centered chancel arch. Ceiled wagon roof to chancel. Chamfered rear arches to chancel windows. Fittings: mostly late C19. Reredos and wrought-iron and wooden altar rails. Choir stalls. Octagonal wooden pulpit dated 1899, with profusely carved panels and frieze. Wooden lectern. Plain pews with flush-panelled backs. Octagonal stone font with moulded base and top, and wooden cover with decorative wrought-iron work. Encaustic floor tiles to chancel. Stained glass in east window and one north and one south window of nave. Various minor C19 monuments. North- west vestibule to gallery, with walls lined as ashlar. Circa 1836 staircase with closed string, rectangular- section stick balusters (2 per tread), tall columnular foot newel, and handrail. The ecclesiastical parish of Ash Magna was formed in 1844. The chancel was built in memory of the Rev. Henry Brumell Finch, vicar from 1882 to 1899. This church is a Gothic version of Christ Church, Tilstock (q.v.), the plans of which are almost identical (cf. partly integral tower and short chancel, now rebuilt at Ash). The Church is aligned north-west/south-east but this description refers to liturgical north, south etc. B.o.E., p. 61; D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, Part 8, p. 667.
Listing NGR: SJ5787440218
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 667
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 61
War Memorials Register, accessed 27 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/55136
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing