BARK HILL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1056002
Date first listed:
01-May-1951
Statutory Address:
BARK HILL HOUSE, BARK HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARK HILL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056002.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 05:54:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
BARK HILL HOUSE, BARK HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Whitchurch Urban
National Grid Reference:
SJ5417341249

Details

SJ 5441 8/36 1.5.51

WHITCHURCH URBAN C.P. BARK HILL (south-east side) No. 28 (Bark Hill House)

II

House. Circa 1680-1700, remodelled in the early to mid-C19. Rendered timber frame. Plain tile roof. 3 framed bays; central staircase plan. 2 storeys and attic. Rendered plinth, and wooden fascia with moulded gutter. Integral rendered brick end stacks. 3 gabled dormers with leaded wooden casements, two to right 2-light and one to left 3-light. 3 bays; C19 two- and 3-light wooden mullioned and transomed casements with chamfered cills and concave hoods. Central 6 panelled door (lower 2 panels beaded flush) with central beading, reeded impost band, 2-part rectangular overlight with geometrical-pattern glazing bars, reeded architrave, and porch with attenuated cast-iron barleysugar columns, tall thin reeded pilaster strips to wall and shallow gabled top. Cast-iron bootscraper to left. Rendered early to mid-C19 two-storey rear wing with boxed 16-pane glazing bar sashes and integral lateral brick stack. Interior: many fixtures and fittings of c.1700. Entrance hall with moulded plaster cornice. Oak dog-leg staircase of c.1700 with winders and half-landings, closed string, unusual double-twisted (pierced barley- sugar) balusters, moulded handrail, and square newel posts with moulded caps. Ground-floor right-hand rear room: late C17-c,1700 oak panelling with fluted frieze and moulded cornice. C17 corner fireplace with mid-C19 surround and three c.1700 bolection-moulded panels above. Right-hand rear bedroom has c.1700 fireplace with lugged architrave, frieze and moulded cornice, and late C18 cast-iron grate. Roof with collar and tie-beam trusses. Late C17 panelled door with L-hinges to left-hand front bedroom. Ground floor 6-panelled doors with moulded architraves. The facade was probably formerly of 5 bays (see beam ending above front window in right-hand ground floor room) and probably refenestrated when it was remodelled in the early to mid-C19. This is a particularly interesting example of a late use of timber framing, in a house which in all other respects (except perhaps for the staircase) is typical of its date. No. 28 Dodington (q.v.) is another example of late timber framing and both buildings may be the work of the same builder.

Listing NGR: SJ5417341249

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
260588
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/07945/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Peter Cooke. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].