Nos. 1-6, CHURCH TERRACE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1056030
Date first listed:
01-Mar-1988
Statutory Address:
1-6, CHURCH TERRACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of Nos. 1-6, CHURCH TERRACE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056030 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 04:05:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
1-6, CHURCH TERRACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Ightfield
National Grid Reference:
SJ6033037219

Details

SJ 63 NW; 6/6

IGHTFIELD C.P., CALVERHALL, Nos. 1-6 (consec.), Church Terrace

GV

II

Row of almshouses. Mid-C18 with some late C20 alterations and additions. Red brick with machine tile roof. L-plan (truncated U-plan). One storey and attic, over basement to right. Plinth to right and parapeted gable ends to right-hand wing with shaped stone kneelers and stone coping. Three brick ridge stacks. 4:4:4:1 bays. Central gabled break with two C20 two-light wooden attic casements and pairs of flanking dormers with 2-light wooden casements. Ground-floor wooden cross windows with painted stone cills and tumbled brick heads (second window from left replaces former doorway - see straight joints beneath). C20 glazed doors in third, sixth, seventh, tenth and eleventh bays from left, each with C20 flat-roofed glazed porch. Projecting right-hand wing with wooden cross window to ground floor and attic, and small basement opening beneath. Carved stone coat of arms in central gable with motto and restored stone plaque below with inscription: "TO THE MEMORY OF WILLIAM KENLEY [or KERR?]/ .... HIS WIFE THIS BUILDING / BY HER ERECTED AND ENDOWED / ANNO DOM 17..". Further granite plaque below, inscribed: "TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND IN MEMORY OF / JOHN PEMBERTON HEYWOOD / AND ANNA MARIA HIS WIFE / THE ENDOWMENT OF THESE ALMSHOUSES / WAS IN ACCORDANCE WITH HER WISHES INCURRED / IN THE YEAR 1887 BY THE SUM OF £1400". Left-hand return front of right-hand wing with evidence of blocked former doorway (see straight joints). Right-hand return front: pair of gabled eaves dormers with 2-light C20 wooden casements. Pair of ground-floor cross windows (left-hand one formerly a door - see straight joints beneath) flanking C20 glazed door. Segmental-headed basement door to left. Outshut at rear with C20 flat-roofed additions. Interiors not inspected. Cranage states that the almshouses were founded in 1724 by Katherine Kerr. The present buildings may date from that time but the inscription was partly illegible at the time of survey (October 1986). The corresponding left-hand wing was demolished when the Church of the Holy Trinity (q.v.) was rebuilt, attached to the north-west, in 1872 and 1878 to the designs of William Eden Nesfield. D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, Part 8, p. 668.

Listing NGR: SJ6033037219

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
260557
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 668

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/12700/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les White. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].