7 AND 8, SHAVINGTON PARK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1056062
Date first listed:
05-Jun-1987
Statutory Address:
7 AND 8, SHAVINGTON PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of 7 AND 8, SHAVINGTON PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056062 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 07:23:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
7 AND 8, SHAVINGTON PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Adderley
National Grid Reference:
SJ 63720 39404

Details

SJ 63 NW MORETON SAY C.P. SHAVINGTON PARK

SJ 6372 3940 Nos. 7 and 8

5/117 II

Pair of estate cottages. Circa 1903, probably by Ernest Newton. Red brick with tile-hung attic and pebbledashed porches with tile-hung gables. Plain tile roof, hipped over rear wings. U-plan. One storey and attic. South-east (garden) front: central brick ridge stack and brick ridge stacks at junctions of porches and cross wings, each of square section with 2 triagular-section projections on each face. Plain barge boards, pegged over purlin ends. Pair of gabled wings with recessed ground floor (not in line with gables) between, and flush attic with central raking semi dormer. 4-window front; 5-light leaded wooden casements (paired 4-light to dormer), those to ground floor with gauged- brick heads. Left-and right-hand return fronts: ground-floor 3-and5- light leaded wooden casements. Central 2-storey porch with open ground- floor consisting of 2 square oak posts supporting corner brackets and moulded bressumer; first-floor 4-light leaded wooden casement. Stone step up to boarded door with small window to-one side. Rear: wings with 5-light leaded wooden attic casements and catslide roofs each side of hip descending over set-back outshuts. One storey brick service block projecting between rear wings with hipped roof and catslide over outshut at end. Roofed passageways between wings and outbuilding leading to half-glazed back doors. Interiors not inspected. These cottages have been attributed (Saint) to Richard Norman Shaw who carried out work at Shavington Hall (demolished 1959) in 1885-6. Stylistically, however, they appear more likely to be the work of Ernest Newton who worked at Shavington in 1903. Andrew Saint, Richard Norman Shaw, pp.241- 3 and p.430.

Listing NGR: SJ6372039404

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
260422
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Saint, A, Richard Norman Shaw, (1976), 241-3, 430

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].