BETTONCOPPICE TURNOVER BRIDGE (NUMBER 67)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1056070

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1987

Statutory Address: BETTONCOPPICE TURNOVER BRIDGE (NUMBER 67), SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL

Map

Ordnance survey map of BETTONCOPPICE TURNOVER BRIDGE (NUMBER 67)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056070 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 18:50:33.

Location

Statutory Address: BETTONCOPPICE TURNOVER BRIDGE (NUMBER 67), SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Adderley

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Norton in Hales

National Grid Reference: SJ6707738081

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORTON IN HALES C.P.

SJ 63 NE

6/138

SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL

Bettoncoppice Turnover Bridge (Number 67) II

Canal bridge. Circa 1830. Thomas Telford and Alexander Easton, engineers. Dressed red/grey sandstone with tooled dressings. Accommodation bridge combined with roving towpath bridge. Elliptical arch with voussoirs and flush keystone. Humped-back shape with chamfered string course and parapet with square end piers (to north only) and rounded coping. Slightly battered and curved abutments. The towpath part of the bridge is divided from the accommodation part by a stone wall and is approached by ramps from the south. Cast-iron corner posts on towpath side with grooves caused by rope haulage. C20 oval metal number plate to south.

This stretch of the canal was built as part of the Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal (Act passed 1826, opened 1835) which was absorbed by the Ellesmere and Chester Canal in 1845 and eventually became part of the Shropshire Union in 1846.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 19 September 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 260444

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hadfield, C, The Canals of the West Midlands, (1985), 183-9

End of official listing