POYNTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1056087

Date first listed: 07-May-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Jun-1987

Statutory Address: POYNTON HOUSE, 40, SHROPSHIRE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of POYNTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056087 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 16:45:37.

Location

Statutory Address: POYNTON HOUSE, 40, SHROPSHIRE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Market Drayton

National Grid Reference: SJ 67406 34055

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 6634-6734; 13/82

MARKET DRAYTON C.P., SHROPSHIRE STREET (north-west side), No. 40 (Poynton House)

(Formerly listed as No 40)

07.05.52

GV

II

House, now offices. Early C18 with alterations dated 1753 (rainwater heads). Red brick with painted sandstone ashlar dressings. 2-span plain tile roof. Two storeys and attic. Chamfered plinth, chamfered quoins, first-floor brick cill band, frieze and moulded cornice, and parapet with stone coping. Parapeted gable end to rear with stone coping and shaped stone kneelers. Pair of external brick end stacks to left, integral brick end stack to rear and stack in valley. 2:1:2 bays; glazing bar sashes with stone cills and gauged-brick heads with raised keystones. Central 4-panelled door (lower beaded flush) with moulded surround and rectangular overlight with C20 depressed fanlight, and stone doorcase consisting of lugged moulded architrave with raised triple keystone, panelled pilaster strips, and console brackets supporting triangular pediment. Approached by three sandstone steps. Left-hand return front: pair of tall segmental-headed small-paned windows lighting staircase. Rear: three gables the centre a later infill (see straight joints). Flat-roofed full-height canted bay to left with frieze and moulded cornice. Pair of C18 lead rainwater heads, that to right with a lion mask and that to left dated: "T D Two-storey rear wing, the front 1753 " part with gable roof and stone-coped parapeted gable end with shared kneelers and lower part with a separate roof, dentil brick eaves cornice and integral lateral brick stack. Pair of probably C20 doorcases with open triangular pediments. INTERIOR: early C18 dog-leg oak staircase with landings, open string with cut brackets, turned balusters (2 per tread), and ramped moulded handrail, wreathed to columnar foot newel; balustrade returns to landing. Raised and fielded dado panelling with panelled dies and ramped top. Staircase window with moulded architrave. Depressed archway to staircase with panelled piers and soffit, moulded architrave and keystone. Ground-floor front rooms with panelled window shutters, moulded cornices and some reused C17 panelling. 6-panelled doors throughout with moulded architraves. The house was probably altered in 1753, involving the addition of an attic storey above the cornice to the front (see straight joints in right-hand gable end).

Listing NGR: SJ6740634055

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 260386

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing