Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056166.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 02:08:34.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Somerset (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 40480 06655


WAYFORD CP PARK LANE (South side) ST40NW 5/74 Church of St Michael



Anglican parish church. C13 origins, with remodelling in C18, Cl9; and early C20, for Ingham Baker then Lord of the manor. Local stone roughcast; with Ham stone ashlar dressings; Welsh stile roofs between stepped coped gables, with plain parapat having moulded coping on north side: west bell turret in timber clad with cedar shingles against the stone west termination. Three-cell plan of single bay chancel, 3-bay nave and north aisle; with north-east corner vestry and south porch. Chancel has plinth and very slim corner pilasters; east window a 3-light 'Y'-tracery window with pointed-arched label, of C18; south wall has one small lancet. Vestry has single lancet window in the east wall. possibly a reuse. North aisle has 3 single lancets and a segmental-arched doorway in the north wall and one lancet in the west wall. Nave has a single lancet towards the west end of the south wall, with a 2-light chamfer-mullioned window in chamfered recess; flat-arched without label, to east of porch, a matching 2-light window set high under eaves towards west end, probably for a gallery, now blocked; west gable has a pair of lancet windows, South Porch added in C18: plain coped south gable with stone tiled roof and gabletted finial, with chamfered triangular arched outer doorway; bench seats; moulded segmental-pointed arched inner doorway. Interior of very individual character, Chancel and nave have C18 boarded roofs with double-collar trusses; chancel plain with no arch into nave; in south wall a C14 partly-restored double piscina, and the lancet nearby has a trefoil rere- arch, as does the lancet in the south wall of the nave. The nave is separated from the north aisle by a timber arcade of square-section posts with slightly- arched braces to wall-plate beam; the aisle ceiling boarded to match, being of lean-to form. Fittings include some fragments of C17 and C18 timber panelling in the chancel, a C18 altar table, and nave box pews of early C19 pattern; small hexagonal pulpit in the north aisle probably C18; plain octagonal font of uncertain date, but possibly C14; boards with the Creed and Lord's Prayer, dated 1795, and a GIIIR hatchment on the north wall. Monuments include marble decorated wall tablets to Azariah Pinney, died 1760, and John Frederick Pinney died 1762, both former owners of trio manor house, in the chancel; and to Elizabeth Pinney, died 1812, on the south wall of the nave. Two bells in turret, both of C18. The chancel apparently collapsed in 1846, and part of the east wall and the vestry damaged by fire in 1895; major restoration of 1902. First mention of church in 1266. (VCH Somerset, Vol IV, 1978, p73-75; Pevsner, N Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, l958).

Listing NGR: ST4048006655


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1978), 73-75
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12354/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Duncan Miller. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].