FORMER PRIESTS HOUSE, ABOUT 10 METRES EAST OF WAYFORD MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1056167

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1987

Statutory Address: FORMER PRIESTS HOUSE, ABOUT 10 METRES EAST OF WAYFORD MANOR HOUSE, PARK LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER PRIESTS HOUSE, ABOUT 10 METRES EAST OF WAYFORD MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056167 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 05:22:23.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER PRIESTS HOUSE, ABOUT 10 METRES EAST OF WAYFORD MANOR HOUSE, PARK LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Wayford

National Grid Reference: ST 40481 06625

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WAYFORD CP PARK LANE (south side) ST40NW 5/78 Former Priest's House. about 10 metres east of Wayford Manor House -

GV II*

Former parsonage, now part of the manor estate. C15 and later. Ham stone rubble with ashlar dressings; stone slate roof to north wing and double Roman clay tiles to south crosswing, both roofs with stepped coped gables: rendered chimney stacks.'L'-plant, south elevation of 3 bays. Full-height buttresses betweei bays: 3- light hollow-chamfer mulioned windows in wave-mould recesses without labels: boarded door in lower bay 1. Slit windows in attic of east gable, with 2-light mullioned window in east flank of north wing. North gable forms part of churchyard wall, and has a C15 ogee-arched cinquefoil-cusped window without label and 2 attic windows of slim single-lights, hollow-chamfer lights in wave-mould recesses without label: between these a large panel with an eroded coat-of-arms set in an egg-and-tart mould frame. Wast return flank of north wing has more 2-light mullioned windows. the upper with traces of ovolo-mouiding, and at north end a winding staircase from outside with triangular arched opening and boarded door in heavy cambered-arched timber frame. Interior not accessible. Described in 1606 as a mansion with barn, garden and orchard; repaired 1827 for an incoming curato; lived-in intermittently by parish priest until cl965. (VCH Somerset, Vol IV, l978, p74).

Listing NGR: ST4048106625

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 262206

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1978), 74

End of official listing