ROAD SIGN, ABOUT 70 METRES NORTH WEST OF THE GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1056169

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1987

Statutory Address: ROAD SIGN, ABOUT 70 METRES NORTH WEST OF THE GEORGE, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROAD SIGN, ABOUT 70 METRES NORTH WEST OF THE GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056169 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 10:04:56.

Location

Statutory Address: ROAD SIGN, ABOUT 70 METRES NORTH WEST OF THE GEORGE, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Winsham

National Grid Reference: ST3736406432

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WINCHAM CP CHURCH STREET (East side) ST30NE 4/88 Road sign about 70 metres north-west of The George

GV II Road sign. 1907-11. Cast-iron, 'T'-post with top red triangle bearing the letters SAC, for Somerset Automobile Club, on bottom member, and on the main plate is cast "Winsham/please/drive/slowly" on front, and 'Thank you' on reverse, together with the casting signature of W and F Wills, Engineers, Bridgwater. One of 36 privately financed signs accepted by Somerset County Council in 1907; two were ordered by Chard RDC in 1911 for this village, and both survive; few others remain. (Bentley J.B and Murless B,J, Somerset Roads, SIAS, l985).

Listing NGR: ST3736406432

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 262212

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bentley, J B, Murless, B J , Somerset Roads: The Legacy of the Turnpikes Western Somerset, (1985)

End of official listing