This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BEECHFIELD HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BEECHFIELD HOUSE

List entry Number: 1056227

Location

BEECHFIELD HOUSE, UPPER HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Castle Cary

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Mar-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 262051

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CASTLE CARY CP UPPER HIGH STREET (North side) ST6432 6/118 Beechfield House (formerly listed as Villa Cary) 24.3.61 GV II

Detached house. Mid/late C18. Cary stone rubble, rendered facade with Doulting stone dressings; steep pitch hipped clay pantiled roof; brick chimney stacks. Two storeys with attic; 5 bays, of which centre bay is wider and projects slightly. Plinth, rusticated quoins, eaves course, central pediment: 12-pane sash windows in architraves, architraves flat- headed but tops of windows segmental arched; large margined window upper bay 3, replacing a pair of composite windows; oeil-de-boeuf window in pediment; to lower bay 3 a 6-panel door with glazed toplights, in beaded surround, with pediment hood on console brackets. Sundry extensions to rear, mostly C19, forming link with, and absorbing, former detached coach house. Interior not seen, but it is known to have been gutted by fire in 1881. Owned by the Clarke family from c1760 and known then as The Villa, it was regularly visited by diarist Parson Woodforde and John Wesley, who often stayed there: it was purchased by John Boyd in 1864 to enable the further expansion of the Ansford Factory from the grounds of next-door Ochiltree House (qv). (McGarvie M, Castle Cary: Avalon Industries, 1980).

Listing NGR: ST6429432459

Selected Sources

Books and journals
McGarvie, M , Castle Cary Avalon Industries, (1980)

National Grid Reference: ST 64294 32459

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056227 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 07:45:29.

End of official listing