ST JOHN'S PRIORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1056249

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: ST JOHN'S PRIORY, GREENWAY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST JOHN'S PRIORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056249 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 00:16:40.

Location

Statutory Address: ST JOHN'S PRIORY, GREENWAY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Castle Cary

National Grid Reference: ST 63939 32566

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CASTLE CARY CP GREENWAY ROAD (East side) ST6332 5/68 St. John's Priory (Florida House)

GV II

Detached house. 1877. Built for J S Donne, of the Flax Mills family, designed by Charles Bell. Doulting and Bath stone ashlar; plain clay tile roof between coped gables, ashlar chimney stacks with ornamental caps. Two storeys with attic, 3 bay south elevation. Plinth, polychrome stonework; sash windows, glazing bars having semi-circular arch design; bay 1 has single-storey projecting square bay window with flat roof, open balustrade and corner ball finials; of 1+3+1 lights; above 3 windows grouped in decorative false gable planted on real gable, which has segmented arched pediment at crown, with ball finial: bay 2 has open porch recess with heavy doors in semi-circular arch carried on non- classical columns under dentilled string, carved spandrils; plain single window above, then rises a tower with rectangular window at attic floor level and above a belvedere with 3 semi-circular arched windows each face, set under lead-covered bell-hip roof with wrot-iron finial and weathervane; bay 3 has single windows, lower under string hood, upper under carved semi-circular arch and then false gable with semi- circular pediment and ball finial. West elevation of 5 bays to match; angled bay window both levels bay 1 under lean-to hipped roof against ornamental coped gable, of 1+2+1 windows; single window upper bay 2, blank below, and to both levels bays 3 and 5, each with segmental pedimented false gable over; to bay 4 a projecting chimney stack from first level up. Later extensions to north and east not of special interest. Interior not seen, but a mantlepiece and recess, by Reid and Co, illustrated in The Builder 19th May 1888. Very much a show-house, it is now the Priory of the Sisters of Jesus Crucified. (McGarvie M, Castle Cary: Avalon Industries, 1980).

Listing NGR: ST6393932566

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 262001

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
McGarvie, M , Castle Cary Avalon Industries, (1980)
'The Builder' in 19 May, (1888)

End of official listing