This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD BREWERY HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD BREWERY HOUSE

List entry Number: 1056422

Location

THE OLD BREWERY HOUSE, 72, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bruton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 261596

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST6834NW BRUTON CP HIGH STREET (South side)

8/122 No 72 (The Old Brewery House) 24.3.61

GV II

House in row. C17 and later. Local stone rubble with Doulting stone dressings; stone slate roof between coped gables; brick end chimney stacks. 2 storeys with attic, 3 bays. Plinth; 4-light ovolo-mould mullioned windows under labels to outer bays; to bay 2 wide cambered arched opening with late C19 door and sidelights infill; above the scolded base of an angled oriel window, now serving as balcony to a 24-pane sash window, with wrought iron balustrade and ornamental lead capping; two C19 dormer windows in roof. Inside not inspected, but reported is 4-bay collar bear truss roof frame; stud and panel screens with bead moulding each side of entrance lobby; fireplaces with depressed 4-centre arches, moulded; East room has complete early C17 panelling complete with wooden cornice. Belongs to Sexey's Hospital; first mentioned in 1630; was maltsters' house in C18, and by C18 rear converted to silk mill; converted back to brewery 1853, brewery buildings demolished c1930. (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, February 1975; Couzens P, Bruton in Selwood, Abbey Press, Sherborne, 1972).

Listing NGR: ST6808634716

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Couzens, P, Bruton in Selwood, (1972)
'Vernacular Architecture Group Report' in February, (1975)

National Grid Reference: ST 68086 34720

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056422 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 10:58:54.

End of official listing