This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MONKSMEAD

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MONKSMEAD

List entry Number: 1056443

Location

MONKSMEAD, DROPPING LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bruton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Aug-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 261543

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST63SE BRUTON CP DROPPING LANE (East side) 5/70 Monksmead (formerly listed as The Hollies)

24.3.61 II

Lodge. C18. Red brick, Flemish bond, with Doulting stone dressings; hipped stone slate roof; brick chimney stacks. "U"-plan, 2 storeys with single storey projecting wings over basements and single bay between. Outer wings have plinths, pilasters and eaves courses in stone, with a pair of large crucuiform casement windows with leaded lights in plain ashlar surrounds; between these wings a C20 porch with plain clay tile roof and plain door; above an hexagonal window surround to a small 2-light casement. Matching windows to sides with dormers above; to rear C20 addition. Unusual type not explained - an inn, "The Bear" existed in 1749 ceased by 1798, but was probably on site of property opposite (not listed); it might be an estate building of Redlynch (qv), and as such a design by Nathaniel Ireson.

Listing NGR: ST6984833891

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 69848 33891

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056443 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2017 at 12:19:10.

End of official listing