This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Windsor Lodge and attached gateway, Compton Castle

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: Windsor Lodge and attached gateway, Compton Castle

List entry Number: 1056524

Location

Windsor Lodge and Attached Gateway, Compton Castle, Old Road, Yeovil, BA22 7EH

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Compton Pauncefoot

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Feb-2014

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 263369

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Lodge and attached gateway, built in the Gothick style in c 1825, with a south range added in two phases in the early and late C20.

Reasons for Designation

Windsor Lodge and attached gateway, built in c 1825, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Architectural Interest: as an early-C19 example of a lodge built in the Gothick style. It is well-executed with good attention to detailing and anticipates the architectural quality of the house, the Grade II* listed Compton Castle; * Historic interest: the addition of the plaque bearing Lord Blackford's coat of arms in the mid-C20 gives added historic interest to the lodge; * Degree of survival: externally, the lodge survives well and retains its attached gateway. The later additions to the south are sympathetic in their design and use similar materials and architectural features, and do not detract from the principal building; * Group Value: the lodge at the west entrance of the estate makes an important contribution to the historic ensemble of the Compton Castle estate and the Grade II registered park and garden in which it stands.

History

Compton Castle and its landscaped garden were constructed in c 1820-25 by John Hubert Hunt (c 1774-1830). The Hunt family appears to have had an estate in Compton Pauncefoot since the mid-C17; John Hubert Hunt inherited the estate from his father in 1807. He never married and it was not until his later years that he created the new house and park. The suggestion in the current list description that the house incorporates part of an earlier, C17 house, is refuted by the map evidence of an 1800 survey of the estate, which shows the site of the castle as open farmland.

Hunt’s architect is generally thought to have been John Finden (c 1782-1849), who exhibited drawings for the ‘Elevation of a House now building for J.H. Hunt Esq, at Compton Pauncefoot’ at the Royal Academy in 1821. He was probably also responsible for the design of the lodges, and some of the other structures within the landscape. Finden is not known to have worked on landscape commissions, and it is supposed that Hunt was closely involved in the design of the landscape, or possibly that another designer was employed.

After Hunt's death in 1830, Compton Castle was let by the family (Husey-Hunt from 1830) to a series of tenants, with a relatively frequent changeover. In 1836 the estate was described by William Phelps in his History of Somerset as consisting of 'a castellated mansion delightfully situated in a small amphitheatre of wood; with an enormous mass of artificial rock-work, erected at a great expense, which forms a striking object from the castle. [...] The approach to the castle from the turnpike road is by a drive through the plantation, and over the dam thrown across the valley, which keeps up the water of the lake. Here a good view of the castle presents itself. The grounds contain many striking features, and the whole may be designated as a picturesque and comfortable residence’.

The landscaped garden and its features, as described in the early C19, are shown on the Tithe Map of the Parish of Compton Pauncefoot published in 1839, and subsequent historic Ordnance Survey maps indicate that the overall layout of the landscape has remained largely unchanged. In 1911, Compton Castle and its landscaped garden were sold to William Peake Mason, later Lord Blackford, who commissioned the architect Charles Biddulph-Pinchard to make alterations to the house. After Lord Blackford's death in 1947 his wife continued to live at Compton Castle for some time, and during the 1950s she regularly opened the gardens to the public. Lady Blackford died in 1958. It is not known when the family sold the house, but the contents were sold in 1961. Compton Castle remains (2013) in private ownership.

Windsor Lodge, listed as West Lodge, is included on the Compton Pauncefoot Tithe Map (1839), and the 1856 estate map depicts it as a having an hexagonal plan. The 1st edition Ordnance Survey (OS) map (1887) shows that the building has some form of extension to the south; this was enlarged and fenestrated, or re-fenestrated, with the plaque bearing Lord Blackford's arms being set into the north wall, in the mid-C20. An additional two-bay extension has been added since 1975.

Details

Lodge and attached gateway, built in the Gothick style in c 1825, with a south range added in two phases in the early and late C20.

MATERIALS: constructed of Cary stone rubble with Doulting stone dressings, under a stone slate roof.

PLAN: the north part takes the form of a tower, with three angled faces, flanked by circular turrets; attached to the south is a long rectangular range added in the early and late-C20.

EXTERIOR: the principal (north) elevation is arranged as a two and a half storey, three-sided, castellated tower with a tall circular castellated turret to either side. To the central face of the tower is a stone plaque, with a coat of arms, believed to be those of William Peake Mason, with the motto 'facta non verba' ('deeds not words'). To each face of the tower, at first and second floor, are centrally-placed leaded windows set within recessed openings with square hoodmoulds and label stops. The building continues to the south and its west elevation consists of two, two-bay ranges in matching materials under a stone slate roof. To the ground and first floor of the range to the left are two, two-light stone mullion windows with leaded lights. They are set within recessed openings beneath square hoodmoulds with label stops. The two-bay range to the right is blind at ground-floor with a single-light and two-light window to the first floor, again in recessed openings with square hoodmoulds and label stops. The rear elevations were not inspected (2012).

INTERIOR: not inspected (2012).

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached to the north end of the lodge is a 4m high wall with stone slate capping and a setback buttress with offsets to the left-hand end. Within the wall is a moulded four-centred arched gateway with a pair of timber, six-panel gates. To the right is a Tudor-arched pedestrian entrance with a 12-panelled door. A short length of stone wall continues to the north-west, with swept coping, ending in a low square pier with ball finial.

In recommending the extent of designation, we have considered whether powers of exclusion under s.1 (5A) of the 1990 Act are appropriate and consider that they are not.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of Somerset: Volume VII, (1999)
Phelps, W , The History and Antiquities of Somersetshire Volume 1, (1836)
Laxton, W, 'The Civil Engineer and Architect's Journal' in Review of the Architectural Room at the Royal Academy, , Vol. 4, (1841), 231
Other
English Heritage Assessment Team, Report on Compton Castle, 2013,
Mid-C20 photographs of Compton Castle in English Heritage Archive,
Sales particulars, 1911 (SHC DD/EDN/45),
Sales particulars, The Times, Tuesday Mar 21, 1961,
The Examiner (London, England) Sunday August 14, 1831; Issue 1228,
Title: Compton Pauncefoot Tithe Map Source Date: 1839 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:
Title: Map of the Altered Apportionment of Tithe Recharge in the Parish of Compton Pauncefoot Source Date: September 1912 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:
Title: Map of the Estate of Bernard Husey Hunt Esq in the Parishes of Compton Pauncefoot, Charlton Horethorne and Blackford in the County of Somerset Source Date: 1856 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:

National Grid Reference: ST6466225582

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056524 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 10:50:08.

End of official listing