LONG SUTTON CP
LANGPORT ROAD(South side)Court House
Detached house.C14 origins,C15 and C17 work,restored 1932.Local lias stone roughtly cut and squared,Ham stone dressings;clay pantiled roof over stone slate base courses between coped gables,gabletted finials to north and west;stone chimney stacks.'T' plan with additions.South east elevation of two storeys,five bays,with single storey projecting porch to bay three.Hollow chamfer mullioned windows with four-centre arched light,some leaded, mostly with square labels;bay one has three-lights to both levels,bay two has two-light windows;upper bay three is three-light set higher;bay four has a two-light above,the window below now blocked;lower bay five has a three-light small pane casement window of earlier C20:the porch, probably C17,has a coped gable with gabletted finial,and an open semi-circular headed archway with moulded imposts,keystone and semi-circular label,a C15 board and strip door being set inside in a cambered arched doorway.The north west elevation has a projecting two-storey porch in centre with angled corner buttresses,but the doorway is now blocked,although a pointed relieving arch remains; above is a two-light mullioned window;another mullioned window lower bay one,a projecting chimney breast with plain gable bay two;other windows are C18 type leaded casements with iron opening lights.The north east elevation has a four-light mullioned window at first floor level,with squared label stepped over a small plaque inscribed"Thomas Spigurnell, Gent,1658",and a matching two-light window above.The south east elevation has a C20 French door and a casement with iron opening lights,under an old timber lintol/frame member and right of these an early casement of seven lights,with square uprights close together,set diagonally;at first floor level a small stair light and a blocked attic window in gable.Inside,the house of two distinct halves;the southern apparently always two storeyed,the south east wall possibly timber framed;central cross passage,with timber doorway into north west porch,south east doorway blocked by C17 staircase-probably Spigurnell in 1658:the northern half the Hall proper,itself now with inserted floor;below a room with square-headed moulded fireplace in north west wall;in chamber above an open smoke-blackened roof,part repaired;three main bays divided by arched-braced collar-bear trusses with raised base-cruck principals,with intermediate braced crown-post trusses,curved windbraces;at southern end a plank and muntin partition at high level screening remainder of roof,and in north west wall two cambered arched fireplaces and alongside,into room over porch,a framed boarded door possibly C16;this room has curved collar truss roof of two bays,internal iron bars to its two-light window;in passage above through passage a moulded boarded partition with nine-panel floor,probably C17.Representing the farm house of the Sutton St.Cleers Manor,there appears to be no direct evidence for the name Court House;badly deteriorated,it was restored by the Clark family,the shoe-makers of Street,and vested in a Quaker Trust in 1932(VCH Vol III,1974;VAG Report,SRO Unpublished,1976).
Listing NGR: ST4667925972