This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1056616

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Langport

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 263185

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LANGPORT CP THE HILL (South side) ST4226 11/120 Church of All Saints 17.4.59 GV I

Anglican Parish Church. C12/C13 origins, mostly rebuilt late C15/early C16; restored C19, partly under W.B. Paul in 1867. Local lias stone, mostly cut and squared, Ham stone dressings, some clay tile stitching in tower; sheet lead covered roofs behind crenellated parapets, except nave and south porch, which have Welsh slates between coped gables. Cruciform plan without crossing, with additions: 3-bay nave, 6-bay north aisle, 1.5 bay north transept with organ chamber, 7-bay south aisle, 2-bay south chapel, west tower, south porch and low east vestry. Chancel has double plinth, string course with gargoyles, battlemented parapets, offset corner and bay buttresses of full height with pinnacles over; elaborate 5-light east window, and sub-arcuated and transomed side windows of 4 lights, all very late C15; under second window in south wall a 4-centre arched doorway with quatrefoil spandrils under square label. North transept similar in style and date, with simpler 4-light east window, and no transome to 4-light sub-arcuated north window, both under curved labels with headstops; high in north wall a small 2-light C13 plate tracery window formed in one stone. North aisle may be partly C13, with simple plinth, string course with gargoyles, battlemented parapets, angled corner and bay buttresses; the 3-light windows appear C19 versions of the wider easternmost window; in bay 4 a blocked moulded pointed arched doorway; small square C19 window in west wall. South aisle matches the same types of windows as north aisle, and all other details similar. South Chapel has 4-light sub-arcuated C15 windows in east and south walls, otherwise details similar to chancel except for angled corner buttresses. South porch mostly C19 restoration; gabled front, angled corner buttresses, moulded pointed arch with slim cusped lancet above. Tower in 3 stages, C15 but top rebuilt 1833; full-height octagonal south east turret, offset corner buttresses to 2 stages, with crocketted finials, merging into angled corner buttresses stage 3; plinth, string courses, with offset below stage 3, gargoyles, battlemented parapet with pinnacles: west doorway has recut 4-centre arched head under square label, with quatrefoils in spandrils, flanked by canopied niches; above, a 5-light sub-arcuated window; other faces plain stage 1: Stage 2 has 2-light windows almost triangular headed, transomed, with stone baffles, flanked by canopied niches, one set to each face except south, one niche only; top stage has similar windows in groups of 3, the centre with stone baffles, the outer pairs blind, all separated by diagonal pilaster strips and pinnacles. Inside, Chancel has fine late C15 open roof frame, almost flat, with moulded rib and panel roof having carved bosses, other fittings C19 including good sedilia and reredos of 1887. Nave badly damaged by fire in 1845; the 4-shaft columns with hollows between have original detail, but the chancel arch was partly rebuilt; rib and panel vault ceiling; fine timber pulpit of late C17/ early C18 on C19 base. North aisle has one roof bay of C15 fragments, and octagonal late C15 font. South aisle mostly 1877 work, but south chapel has ceiling matching the chancel, of C15, and double statue niche on corner of chancel arch, and a piscina or stoup on the central column of the arcade. The tower has a fan vault. Memorials mostly C19, but a good set of C18 Keinton stone slabs with black colouring and fine incised lettering includes memorials to Mary Michell, died 1756, in north aisle, and to Thomas Bush, died 1753, in Nave. East window has various pieces of C15 stained glass. First recorded rector 1256. (VCH vol III, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST4222726740

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 42231 26742

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056616 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2017 at 11:25:42.

End of official listing