- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- THE ABBEY, TOP ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056727.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 06:10:11.
- Statutory Address:
- THE ABBEY, TOP ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Somerset (District Authority)
- Charlton Mackrell
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 53554 28690
ST52NW CHARLTON MACKRELL CP TOP ROAD (South side)
5/43 The Abbey
House on site of Chantry Chapel. Late C16 with earlier fragments, restored 1902. Local lias stone roughly squared and coursed, Ham stone dressings; plain clay tile roofs, some between stepped coped gables, some hipped; stone chimney stacks, some octagonal ashlar, some stone rubble. Triple-roof plan with earlier crossing at west end. Mostly 2 storeys with attic; west end 3 storeys. West entrance elevation 4 bays, of which bays 1 and 2 are of 3 storeys; bays 3 and 4 set back, with small C20 porch with gabled roof and small chimney stack bay 3: bays 1 and 2 the earliest part of house; double corner buttresses with offsets, central ground floor 2-light C16 window having double wave mould and unusual panelled mullion, set under damaged label; above two 2-light hollow chamfer mullioned windows in wave mould recesses with square heads and labels; above central 3-light ovolo mould mullioned window with label; all windows with rectangular panes and some metal casements; pointed relieving arch offcentre bay 2 first floor window, and another over bay 4 ground floor window, a single hollow chamfer in wave mould-light, with label: bays 3 and 4 otherwise blank. South elevation has gable to porch, featuring stepped external chimney stack and sundial, set back; then 2 wide bays with full-height end and centre buttresses; hollow chamfer mullioned windows in wave-mould recesses with labels; 4-light to lower-bay 1, 3-light to both levels bays 2: upper-bay 1 has wider cruciform mullioned and transomed 2-light window. East elevation has triple gables set in receding planes, with lean-to against northernmost; south gable has 2-light mullioned windows to ground floor and attic, above is a square stone with circular carved pattern; central gable has cruciform window below and 3 and 2-light windows above, and 2-light to attic of north gable, which has gabletted finial, under which is a plain stone plaque with hood. north elevation to match, and extending northwards an early C20 extension which may include some re-used windows. Inside, the west room has beamed ceiling, and staircase with early C17 fragments, with semi-circular lozenge-decorated arch on landing; the drawing room (the Oak room) has beam and joist ceiling and c1600 wall panelling with top frieze and cornice mould; fine oak overmantel to fireplace, which has moulded cambered arch-similar smaller fireplaces elsewhere in house. Bedroom above originally full width of house; retains corner cupboard and window reveal-panels probably early C17. The north rooms gutted by fire in 1960's, restored plain. Noth east stairs to attic have a pointed arch with timber door, possibly C15 reused; two attic rooms have barrel vaulted ceiling, and a 2-panel door. In the north wall the label to a 2-light window, and an arched doorway which could be C13/C14, 1902 restoration thought to be by C.E Ponting, who also restored Lytes Cary (qv). The site of the Chantry Chapel of the Holy Spirit, founded 1237, and believed to incorporate fragments therof, its remodelling appears to be of late C16 date. (Nares, G: Country Life, Vol CVll, Jan 13th 1950; Victoria County History, Volume III, 1974).
Listing NGR: ST5355528687
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)
'Country Life' in 13 January, (1950)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing