This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1056762

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Charlton Mackrell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 262830

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST52NW CHARLTON MACKRELL CP CHURCH HILL (East side) CHARLTON ADAM

5/25 Church of St Peter and St Paul 17.4.59

GV I

Parish Church. C14 origins, mostly C15, restored by H. Wilson 1892. Local lias stone cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; stone slate roofs between coped gables. 3 cell plan of 2-bay chancel, 3 bay nave and single-bay south chantry chapel, with west tower and south porch. Chancel has plinth, angled corner buttress with moulded offsets, gabletted cross finial at east end; 3-light C15 cinquefoil cusped east window set in hollowed recesss; 2 small cusped lancets on north side, buttress between, and on south side early C15 traceried 2-light window in hollowed recess, the cill having been raised; to left angled projection forming link between chantry chapel and chancel, having small moulded arched doorway and 2-light C16 window. Chantry chapel has plinth, angled corner buttresses, with 4-light flat-headed square labelled windows in both east and south walls. Nave mostly rendered; plinth and plain offset-bay buttresses; in north wall projection with small C14 window for former rood stair, then two 2-light C15 traceried windows with arched labels and square stops; on south wall a smaller 2-light C15 window set in hollowed recess south porch has angled corner buttress, and moulded pointed arched doorway with arched label with square stops; inside a plainer possibly C14 arch, but with ovolo mould to runouts and C18 door; two cinquefoil niches, one over door and one in east wall, both with statues. Small C20 boiler house set low on north east corner. Tower has 3 stages: tall plinth, angled offset buttress to near-full height, string courses with gargoyles to top, slightly battlemented parapet and pyramidal roof; square plan stair turret north east corner, full height, with small slit windows and a small drilled window at base: moulded pointed arch west door, with 3-light C15 traceried window above set into hollowed recess, breaking into string course which forms label; on stage 2 stall 2-light window on west face, and similar windows with wood baffles to each face stage 3; clockface under south window. Inside, the chancel has timber rib and plaster-panel segmental vault ceiling, small C15 moulded chancel arch, C19 squint in south wall; plain piscina possibly C14, fittings Cl9 and C20. Nave has timber ribbed barrel vault with moulded principals, formerly with plastered-panels; C16/C17 moulded 3 centre arch into chantry chapel, C15 tower arch; former rood loft stair in north wall. Chantry chapel has vaulted ribbed roof, formerly plastered. Fittings include simple tulip bowl font on turned base, probably early C14; a pulpit of early C17, 3-panelled on each face with moulded top, on C19 base; several paintings. Monuments include that to Thomas Basket, died 1592, a standing wall monument in Ham stone with strap cartouche with inscription between two Doric columns carrying pedimented hood with finials and shields; over squint two black painted Keinton slabs to Anne Bonham, died 1638, and silos Strangways, died 1677, the latter having pedimented hood on Doric columns with ball finials, distinctly rural; several other C18 painted Keinton stone-panels. Reredos a copy of a fresco by Perugino by late Mrs C Neville, of The Abbey (qv). A few fragments of C15 stained glass in west window (Hamilton and Long, Some Account of the Parishes of Charlton Adam and Charlton Mackrell, 1961).

Listing NGR: ST5351128664

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hamilton, , Long, , Some Account of the Parishes of Charlton Adam and Charlton Mackrell, (1961)

National Grid Reference: ST 53510 28664

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056762 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2017 at 02:34:14.

End of official listing