LYTES CARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1056764

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1959

Statutory Address: LYTES CARY, ILCHESTER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of LYTES CARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056764 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 18:23:20.

Location

Statutory Address: LYTES CARY, ILCHESTER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Charlton Mackrell

National Grid Reference: ST5331726557

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST52NW CHARLTON MACKRELL CP ILCHESTER ROAD (east side) LYTES CARY

5/31 Lytes Cary 17.4.59

GV I

Manor House. C14 origins, mostly C15,C16 and early C20, this last being restoration and extension by C.E Ponting for Sir Walter Jenner. Local lias stone ashlar with Ham stone dressings; stone slate roofs between coped gables with finials, some plain clay tile roofs on later work; stone chimney stacks. Two storeys with attic, complex plan around small central courtyard; the north east and south east ranges representing the earlier work; the north west range being a largely C18 farmhouse, and the south west range was added after 1907. Entrance on north east elevation, which is of 6 bays: bay 1 is a gable from which the chapel, of C14, projects: this has a 3-light east window with reticulated tracery in a pointed arch, flanked by angled corner buttresses, with a quatrefoil plaque above; matching 2 light window but with flat arched head and label on north return, with pointed arched doorway with poppyhead finial to label; bays 2 and 4 are projecting gables; bay 2 has chamfer moulded mullioned window with 4-centre arched heads to-lights, and incised spandrils, a plain 4-light without label below, and a 1+3+1 angled oriel window above, with stone slate roof; bay 3 has a single, tall 3-light window; bay-4 is the gabled porch, with moulded shallow cambered arched doorways, and above a matching 1+3+1-light oriel and gable finial with heraldic figures; bays 5 and 6 are the taller farmhouse building which has matching mullioned windows to basement, and above casement windows with leaded-panes set under brick-panels and elliptical brick arches. South east garden elevation of 9 bays:-bay 1 an end gable, with 4-light mullioned window the post 1907 extension bays 2 and 3 have similar windows with labels to lower windows: bays 4 and 8 the earlier section; 3-light hollow chamfered mullioned windows to bays 4, 5 and 7, with 2 and single light windows bay 8; bay 6 has square window of 1533, 2 storeys with crenellated parapet over pierced quatrefoil ornament, 2+4+2-lights; between windows of this bay is featured the arms of John Lyte, builder: bay 9 represents the Chapel, with window to match that on north. The other outer elevations of lesser import; the courtyard elevations relate generally to outside. The chapel has an arch-braced-collar truss roof, and has wood fittings of 1631, including the communion rail and a rear screen. The porch opens into the hall, c1450, also with arched-braced-collar trusses, with double purlins, and cusped curved windbraces, as roof; cornice of pierced qvatrefoils; a C15 fireplace, but the windows and oriel, of 2 storeys, are C16 additions. In corner between old ranges, projecting into courtyard is the staircase. In the south east range the parlour, remodelled in 1533, but with Jacobean-panelling and lonic pilasters, and good chimney piece; above is the great chamber, with barrel ceiling with geometrical plaster decpration, also of 1533 and a rare survival. The 1907 range said to incorparate carvings from a Wren City Church, possibly St Benet's, Gracechurch. History and building well documented. (Victoria County History, Volume III; Hussey, C: Country Life, Vol Cll, 18 July, 25 July and 1 August 1947).

Listing NGR: ST5331526564

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 262836

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)
'Country Life' in 18 July, (1947)
'Country Life' in 1 August, (1947)
'Country Life' in 25 July, (1947)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 37 Somerset,

End of official listing