CHURCH OF SAINT BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1056787
Date first listed:
19-Apr-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT BARTHOLOMEW, PYLE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056787 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 05:52:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT BARTHOLOMEW, PYLE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Yeovilton
National Grid Reference:
ST 54680 23013

Details

ST52SW YEOVILTON CP PYLE LANE (South side)

3/172 Church of Saint Bartholomew

19.4.61

GV II*

Church. Circa 1300, severly restored in 1872. Local lias stone cut squared and coursed, with Ham stone dressings; plain clay tiles with bands of fish scale tiles between coped gables. 2-cell church, with 2-bay chancel and 3-bay nave with added South-chapel, North porch and West tower. Chancel has 3-cusped light East window with C14 tracery, with 2-light ogee-head traceried windows to sides; angled corner buttresses with offsets, bay buttresses to full height; narrow door between windows on South side, now blockedi remains of small figure in trefoiled niche over East window. Nave has 2-light pointed arch Perpendicular windows, much restored on South side. South chapel seems mostly of C19 although remains of a Norman doorway arch used as a band course under South window. South porch may be mostly C14 work, with small 2-light opening with trefoil rere-arch in East wall, and sexfoil window on West side, plain doorway arches. Tower rather heavy, in 3 stages of plain detail and square proportions. West door in moulded almost semi-circular headed arch in a flat headed recess, the spandrils foliated, door possibly C16, with sanctuary handle; Above a 3-light window, evidently C19 restoration; on North side a statue recess possibly of late C15, much eroded; very small rectangular windows in North and South walls, stage 2, then almost triangular headed 2-light C15 traceried windows to each face of stage 3. Plinth, string courses each stage, and low slightly crenellated parapet, centre gargoyles and corner pinnacles. Octagonal stair turret in South-west corner. Interior locked and not accessible - said to contain a C14 piscina in the chancel with an ogee arch, resting on a bust corbel; double-chamfered chancel and tower arches dying into imposts, a nave wagon-roof with bosses; statue bracket on South wall of the nave, and rere-arches to windows of nave and chancel of late C13/early C14. The money to build the tower bequeathed by a Rector in 1486. (Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England - South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST5468023013

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
262788
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/01090/24
Rights: Copyright IoE David Wood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].