This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF SAINT MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT MARY

List entry Number: 1056844

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Limington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 262636

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST5422 LIMINGTON CP CHURCH STREET (East sidel

8/25 Church of Saint Mary

19.4.61 6V I

Church. Late C14 with earlier fragments. North door and footings of nave and tower of Norman period; the South porch C13; the nave and tower basically C14; the North chapel a fine example, of 1328; the Chancel of C15 but restored in C19. Local stone, mostly cut, squared and random coursed; with Ham stone dressings: plain clay tile roofs with coped gables, except to the North chapel, which has large stone slabs over a stone vault. 2- cell plan with 2-bay chancel and 4-bay nave, with added North chapel, South porch and West tower. Chancel of near-ashlar stonework, with plinth, corner offset buttresses almost full height and coving course at eaves: East window a sub-arcuated 4-light tracery window of the late C15 in a hollow chamfered recess without label, with two 2-light windows to match on North and South sides: between the South windows a plain doorway with 4-centre moulded arch and jambs. The nave has slight plinth full height buttresses and an eaves course: on the South side a C14 curvilinear tracery 2-light window with relieving arch and no label; the porch with segmental pointed arch; then a 4-light hollow chamfer mullioned window of c 1500 with traces of a relieving arch over the label, then a small single light of probably C16; on the North a 2-light plate tracery window with 2 Quatrefoils and one octofoil in circles of late C13 and a blocked semi-circular arched doorway. The North chapel has plinth, angled corner buttresses almost full height and cill height intermediates; the North window 3-light, East and West 2-lights, all C14 curvilinear tracery; above the North window a trefoil arched statue niche, and in East wall a blocked 4-centre arched doorway. Tower in 3 stages marked by string courses; simple pointed chamfer arched West doorway, and above a 3-light window of late C15; at second-level a smaller 2-light West window, and a similar window to each face at third level, these with pierced stone baffles; above these small pierced roundels with curvilinear tracery; low parapet, with gargoyles at corner; stair turret with slit windows on North side crowned by weathervane. Inside, the porch has stone seats and a pointed arch C13 doorway with a possibly C14 door with old ironwork and lock. Chancel unplastered with an apparently C19 ribbed barrel vault in timber, with cusped trefoil arched piscina, chancel arch of c 1380. Nave plastered, with C19 crown post roof trusses, arch to North chapel of 1328, tower arch possibly c 1280 having grotesque figures to capital/corbel brackets. North chapel has ribbed stone barrel vault, pointed rere-arches to North and West windows, and fine cinquefoil cusped arched niche in North wall, also a simple piscina. Fittings include an early C17 altar table, C14 popyhead choirstalls, a C17 pulpit, and an octagonal panelled font of early C16. There are four good effigies in the North chapel, with traces of colouring, including those of the chapel builder Sir Richard Gyvernay, died 1329, a son and his second wife. The six bells, the earliest of C15, now lowered, March 1983. 3-fine incised C18 memorial slabs in the tower. Earliest known rector 1215; Thomas Wolsey later Cardinal, held the living 1500-1509, but probably did not live here after becoming chaplain to Archbishop of Canterbury in 1501.

Listing NGR: ST5416022370

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 54158 22372

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056844 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 11:25:48.

End of official listing