TWO CARVED FIGURES AND A DIRECTION STONE AGAINST NORTH WEST CORNER OF PETHERTON BRIDGE AT NGR ST 4500 1670

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1056969
Date first listed:
18-Feb-1988
Statutory Address:
TWO CARVED FIGURES AND A DIRECTION STONE AGAINST NORTH WEST CORNER OF PETHERTON BRIDGE AT NGR ST 4500 1670

Map

Ordnance survey map of TWO CARVED FIGURES AND A DIRECTION STONE AGAINST NORTH WEST CORNER OF PETHERTON BRIDGE AT NGR ST 4500 1670
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1056969 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 04:02:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
TWO CARVED FIGURES AND A DIRECTION STONE AGAINST NORTH WEST CORNER OF PETHERTON BRIDGE AT NGR ST 4500 1670

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
South Petherton
National Grid Reference:
ST 45055 16714

Details

SOUTH PETHERTON CP ST41NE 3/90 Two carved figures and a direction stone against north-west corner of Petherton Bridge at NGR ST 4500 1670

GV II

Two figures and a direction stone. Possibly C15 and C18. All in carved Ham stone. The figures are of a boy and a girl, about one metre high, set in a special housing at the side of the bridge: they are said to be a memorial to two children who drowned from the former decayed wooden bridge, which as a memorial to them was replaced by a 3-arch stone bridge, demolished in the early 1970s: this is thought to have been a Roman crossing point of the Fosse Way. The direction stone, now set immediately to the west, is presumably relocated from the junction of the Fossway and the old road to Yeovil; it is about 450mm x 150mm, and 600mm high, tapered with rounded top, and is inscribed on the north face 'THE RIG/(H)T HAND/ R0A(D)/ LEAD(S)/ TO YEO/(VIL)'. (Greenwood C and J, Somerset Delineated, 1822: VCH, Vol III, 1974: Bentley JB and Murless BJ, Somerset Roads, SIAS, 1985).

Listing NGR: ST4505516714

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
264174
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bentley, J B, Murless, B J , Somerset Roads: The Legacy of the Turnpikes Western Somerset, (1985)
Greenwood, C, Greenwood, J , Somerset Delineated, (1822)
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].