Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057002.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Oct-2021 at 05:34:57.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Somerset (District Authority)
Seavington St. Michael
National Grid Reference:


SEAVINGTON ST MICHAEL CP CHURCH LANE (East side) ST41SW 5/83 Church of St Michael 4.2.58


Anglican parish church. Late C12, possibly refenestrated, porched c1291; C15 alterations, gallery of c1800, vestry 1858, reseating of 1899. Ham stone rubble, ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof between stepped coped gables, with low parapet to nave. Two-cell plan of single-bay chancel, 3-bay nave, with north porch, south-east vestry and western bell turret. Chancel has no plinth, but clasping corner buttresses without offsets; 2-light east window, C14 tracery under pointed-arched plain-stopped label; north wall has 2-light flat-arched C15 windows, trefoil-cusped lights with incised spandrils, all set in hollow rectangular recess with deep square plain-stopped label; on south side the leanto vestry, with similar flat-arched window but not in a recess, in the east wall. Nave has corner buttresses to half-height, and added bay buttresses on south side to full height; centre bay on south side has a blocked chamfered pointed-arched doorway, with diamond-leaded window inserted with cill just below springing; on either side a 2-light C15 early Perpendicular traceried window, no recesses, plain-stepped labels; similar windows on north wall, but the north-east is 3-light with square-stop label; west window also 3-light C15, with pointed-arched square-stopped label, below being a small buttress and above a semi-circular arched plain window to serve the gallery. Crowning west wall is the bell turret; simple ashlar west gable with arched openings for 2 bells, and to east a Welsh slate-clad casing: until the 1770s a stone tower is mentioned, but in 1822 a wooden turret with 3 bells is described - either or both may refer to this structure. North porch has chamfered plinth, ball finial to north gable; 2-order moulded pointed outer arch and simple pointed inner arch; bench seats, segmental barrel vault ceiling. Interior mostly C19 reshaping: chancel very plain, with C19 scissor-truss roof; trefoil-cusped piscina in south wall of sanctuary; double-panelled chancel arch to almost full width. Nave has segmental plaster barel vault of 1825, with gallery at west end; another piscina, cinquefoil cusped, in south wall, and near chancel arch four later C14 corbel brackets for rood loft or lenten veil, two having carved heads. Choirstalls removed: fittings in chancel of C19 and C20; likewise in nave except for a circular tub font on rectangular base, probably C12/C13, with late C18 cover. Charles II hatchment over north door: in chancel the effigy of a man, c1280-90, possibly Adam le Denys, Lord of the Manor of Seavington St Denys, d.1284. Two fragments of early medieval glass in tracery of south-west nave window, and C18 glass panel in west window. First mention of church in 1226, first recorded rector 1297. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; VCH, Vol III, 1974; Greenwood, C and J, Somerset Delineated, 1822).

Listing NGR: ST4101514951


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Greenwood, C, Greenwood, J , Somerset Delineated, (1822)
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/10854/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].