DOMMETT FARMHOUSE, WALLS AND GATEPIERS ON SOUTH FRONT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1057012
Date first listed:
17-Jul-1987
Statutory Address:
DOMMETT FARMHOUSE, WALLS AND GATEPIERS ON SOUTH FRONT

Map

Ordnance survey map of DOMMETT FARMHOUSE, WALLS AND GATEPIERS ON SOUTH FRONT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057012 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 02:56:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
DOMMETT FARMHOUSE, WALLS AND GATEPIERS ON SOUTH FRONT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Buckland St. Mary
National Grid Reference:
ST2794114894

Details

ST21SE BUCKLAND ST MARY CP -

5/31 Dommett Farmhouse, walls and gatepiers on south front 17.7.87

- II

Farmhouse, Dated 1648, possibly the remodelling of earlier dwelling, gable end chimney dated 1748 probably when west wing added, restored l972-5. Roughcast over random rubble, slate roof, coped verges, stone stacks gable and right, to left of through passage and external ashlar stack with chamfered cornice dated 1748 it west gable end. 'U'-plan facing south, 3-cell and cross passage with unheated inner room, stack inserted in latter and north-west wing added, north-east buttery and some C20 additions at rear. Two storeys, 4-bays first floor 3-light casements with datestone between first and second bays left, ground floor 4-light renewed ovolo-moulded mullion windows, entrance with gabled porch and part glazed door, Right return, gable end with small window inserted in former summer fire-place, stack projecting beyond in wing with external opening for ash house. Interior contains a large amount of imported timberwork in addition to some good surviving features. Plank and muntin screen chamfered and stopped on through passage side, kitchen with cambered lintel to fireplace, bread oven under winder stairs to right, rear wall rebuilt in brick with window inserted in summer fireplace opening, chamfered beam with scroll stop, timber-framed partition to buttery with large blocked chimney opening. Hall with winder stair to right of fireplace with blocked stairlight, 2-light reconstituted stone window in original frame on rear wall. C20 partition in C17 style, with framed jointed cruck truss above, similar partition to north-west wing containing sole imported late Lib timberworks Retaining walls enclosing + forecourt on south front, random rubble local stone with flat stone coping, swept up to gatepiers framing flight of steps. Gatepiers: ashlar Ham stone, square in plan, cavetto moulded cornice and plinth topped with small obelisks, (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, Feb 1973).

Listing NGR: ST2794114894

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
264085
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Vernacular Architecture Group Report' in February, (1973)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/11357/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].