This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1057048



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ilton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 263967

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



3/64 Ashford House (formerly listed as Ashford Farm House with Forecourt wall and gatepiers) 4.2.58


Detached house. Dated 1703, probably a rebuilding of C17 work. Red brick, Flemish bond, with Ham stone kneelers and copings; thatched roof between coped gables; brick end and intermediate chimney stacks. Two storeys with attics; 6-bay irregular fenestration. Stone plinth, saw-tooth dentilled band course between floors with semi-circular relieving arches over ground floor openings: casement windows of early patterns, mostly 3-light, with rectangular-leaded panes, some iron-framed opening lights, timber lintels over all windows: bay 1 has single window above and 2 below; bay 2 has a double-depth upper window, with nothing below; the window to upper bay 5 is set lower to light the staircase, blank below: to lower bay 3 a boarded door on heavy frame with wirework porch. West gable has bandwork course, and C20 door, small C20 casement to first floor and 4-light leaded attic casement, above which,is a plaque with ovolo-mould surround inscribed '-B 1703', Rear elevation similar in character, but west bay has a C20 bay window below in an old opening, then 4,4,2 and single-light hollow chamfer mullioned windows below, with doorway opposite front door; above band course and relieving arches, and leaded casement windows. East window has a lean-to below, and the attic has two leaded windows, one a larger 3-light casement, the other smaller with a chamfered timber mullion. Interior only partly seen, but reported is a through-passage, 3-rood plan , with narrow north-facing rooms added during the rebuilding: chamfered beams with almost scroll-stops, wattle and daub partitioning; bacon curing chamber with east gable fireplace, and this room also has an early C19 built-in dresser fitment about the length of one wall; stone fireplace backing onto hall with double-ovolo moulding: roof frame not examined. An early dated complete use of brick in this area; similar work in this and Ashill C.P. may be up to 40 years earlier, but with stone as the lain structural element and the brick used almost decoratively.

Listing NGR: ST3567118959

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 35671 18959


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057048 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 11:41:00.

End of official listing