Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057061.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2021 at 04:11:16.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Somerset (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 38302 17187



6/100 Church of St Mary Magdalen 4.2.58


Anglican parish church. C13 and later. Ham stone rubble with ashlar dressings, chancel partly cut and squared work; Welsh slate roof between stepped coped gables, continuous; small bellcote at west end. Two-cell plan of 3-small-bay chancel and 3-bay nave, with north-east vestry and south porch. Chancel plain, the south wall apparently rebuilt: east window a 3-light flamboyant traceried window with moulded label; small 2-light early C14 flat headed window without label in north wall; in south wall a larger 3-light version, very early Perpendicular with moulded label having deep drops, not stops, and east of this a simple chamfered pointed-arch doorway. Nave has angled corner buttresses at west end: on north side a C17/C18 single light window with hoodmould, then a 2-light C14 or early C15 traceried window in hollowed recess, and at west end the gallery doorway, restored, approached by a simple stone staircase with wrot-iron handrail; the west window a 3-light C15 traceried window in hollowed recess with headstop label, and below a pointed-arched west doorway; without label; the south wall has another 2-light C15 window east of the porch: the bell turret simply rectangular on plan, with pitched stone canopy, 3 semi-circular arched through-arches east to west for bells, with bells hung on wheels. South porch possibly C15: plinth stone slab roof with plain gable ending with block sundial and ball finial, inscribed with motto "Redeeme the time'; moulded 4-centered outer archway; inside a C15 pointed-arched doorway; the ceiling based on straight stone 'rafters'. North east vestry probably a C18 addition; very simple, with pointed arched doorway in north gable, and a 2-light leaded casement window in west wail. Inside, little work later than C18. Chancel has arched-braced collar-trussed roof with elaborate scarfed joints, probably C17, with plaster panelled ceiling; east window has rere-arch; C19 doorway into vestry, and small organ. Chancel arch of C15 to full width, shafts with hollows to jambs. Nave has a C17 timber ribbed vaulted ceiling with carved diamond shape bosses, and at rear a C18 gallery, with dentilled beam cornice moulding, four rectangular fielded panels and a semi-circular arched centre panel with a vernacular painting of a kingly figure composing the music to 3 Halleluyahs. Fittings include a C13 ogee-arched piscina, an early C17 Communion rail, a C17 altar table and a C18 style reredos panelling; choirstalls and pews of 1908, but in C17 style with overlap unseasoned boards, but one C18 box pew with fielded panels survives; C17 panelled timber pulpit with door, moulded tester above, and reading desk in front; font of C12 or C13, a fluted circular bowl on turned base. Fine undated hatchment board over south doorway. Above chancel arch 2 corbel heads, possibly to carry the lentern veil. Monument in chancel to Revd James Upton, died 1844, black and white marble with colouring. (Pevsner, N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958 - but read the description for St Mary Stocklinch Ottersey, as the two are transposed).

Listing NGR: ST3829817185


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/10094/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].