THICKTHORN HOUSE WITH NORTH BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEWAY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1057073
Date first listed:
04-Feb-1958
Statutory Address:
THICKTHORN HOUSE WITH NORTH BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEWAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of THICKTHORN HOUSE WITH NORTH BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEWAY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057073 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 19:11:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
THICKTHORN HOUSE WITH NORTH BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEWAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Ashill
National Grid Reference:
ST3297216859

Details

ASHILL CP THICKTHORN CROSS ST31NW 2/20 Thickthorn House (also known as Thickthorn Manor), with north boundary wall and gateway 4.2.58

- II

Detached house. Possibly C16 origins, remodelled in the late C17 and possibly refronted in C18. Red brick in Flemish bond on rubble stone plinth, ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof in diminishing courses between stepped coped gables; brick end chimney stacks. 'T'-plan with additions; 2-storey east elevation of 3 bays, with single-storey single-bay extensions to each side. Sash windows in plain ashlar surrounds, 20-pane below and 12-pane above; to lower centre bay a 6-panel door with toplights, set under radially-glazed fanlight in semi-circular arched opening into open stone porch with slim Tuscan columns and pilasters, plain entablature and flat roof:side wings have plain parapets and copings, with tall French casement windows in flat-arched gauged brick openings. Return wing westwards of 2 storeys with attics, 3 bays; casement windows, some with leaded lights, others with very small panes and cast-iron frames; in centre 2 raked buttresses to half height, C20 additions; further lean-to on west gable. On north-west corner a 2-storey brick building to match, with high stepped gables suggesting former thatch, now roofed in Welsh slate, and with a weathervane dated 1894: at west end of this building a barn with loft, but at east end an upper room with, in east gable, a 3-light 'Y' traceried pointed arched casement window; some of the walling under this window in lias stone; a lean-to building in random stonework on the north side of this extension, Interior not seen, but reported is a heavily moulded framed ceiling to the hall, and a chamfer-beam panelled ceiling in an inner rood, but much internal work is C19 or C20, The history of the house uncertain; one stone set upside down in the south wall of the wing is dated 1687; the multi-coloured brickwork, with well-burnt headers, is probably earlier C18; the upper rood over the barn could have served as a religious meeting house, Extending eastwards from the north-east corner of the house is the north boundary wall, in English garden wall bond, about 3 metres high, with thin Ham stone coping, with a curved drop at the east end to a pair of rusticated ashlar gate piers with moulded plinth and pyramidal caps, carrying wrot-iron gates, probably C19, having worked arrowheads to middle and top rails, the top rails being curved, and there being curved braces to the bottom panel; the whole adding to the setting of the house. (VAG Report, SRO unpublished, December 1978).

Listing NGR: ST3297216859

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
263919
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Vernacular Architecture Group Report' in 31 August, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jan 2006
Reference: IOE01/14991/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].