CHURCH OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1057100

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Oct-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057100 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 10:33:32.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Ashill

National Grid Reference: ST 32116 17263

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASHILL CP ASHILL VILLAGE ST31NW 2/1 Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary (formerly listed as Church of St Mary) 4.2.58 GV II*

Anglican parish church, C12 or C13, with various later alteration, Local stone rubble, with some grey lias stone, Has stone dressings; plain clay tiled roofs with coped gables, and bands of scalloped tiles to chancel. Two-cell plan of single-bay chancel and 3-bay nave, with north and south porches and west tower, Chancel plain, with cill-high plinth, on east side; east window 3-light C15 traceried, set in hollowed recess under square-stopped arched label; north window a 2-light, probably C19, in moulded reveal; on south side two 2-light plate-tracery windows with plain arched labels, and between them a small moulded pointed-arched doorway. Nave also plain, with buttresses to corners at west end; on south side two 2-light late C15 flat-arched windows with cinquefoil cusped ogee-head lights and quatrefoil spandril under deep square labels having shield stops; one similar window west of north porch, and to east a C19 reconstruction of a C13 plate-traceried window. Simple south porch, the pointed-arched doorway almost totally blocked and a small C20 window inserted: north porch also plain, with chamfered segmental-pointed outer arch, and semi-circular arched ribbed ceiling vault; stone bench seats; the inner archway of C12 or C13, stilted segmental with chevron decoration, the side shafts octagonal on plan with one cushion and one scallop capital. The west tower in 2 stages; plinth, angled corner buttresses with offset to nearly full height, string courses, corner gargoyles to top, battlemented parapet; moulded 4-centre-arched west doorway in rectangular recess with quatrefoil panel spandrils and deep square label; above a 3-light 4-centre- arched window with simple C16 or C17 tracery set in deep hollowed recess with label over; otherwise stage one plain: to second stage are 2-light C15 traceried windows with horizontal baffles, that on the south face part blocked; additional small rectangular window below in west face: on north- east corner a rectangular plan stair turret to above tower height, crowned with weathervane dated 1867. Interior not accessible, but reported is a chancel arch with chevron decoration, altered, with two blocked recesses for side altars; inner shafts and rere-arches of Decorated period to chancel windows; cinquefoil rere-arch to north-east nave window, Fittings include an early C17 pulpit, and a C15 octagonal font. In the north wall of the nave two early C14 tomb recesses, one with the effigy of a lady of c1300, the other is of a knight of c1380. (Pevsner, N. Buildings of England South and West Somerset, 1958),

Listing NGR: ST3211617263

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 263898

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

End of official listing