This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

RENDELL ALTAR TOMB, IN CHURCHYARD 10 METRES SOUTH WEST OF SOUTH WEST CORNER OF TOWER, CHURCH OF SAINT MARTIN OF TOURS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RENDELL ALTAR TOMB, IN CHURCHYARD 10 METRES SOUTH WEST OF SOUTH WEST CORNER OF TOWER, CHURCH OF SAINT MARTIN OF TOURS

List entry Number: 1057145

Location

RENDELL ALTAR TOMB, IN CHURCHYARD 10 METRES SOUTH WEST OF SOUTH WEST CORNER OF TOWER, CHURCH OF SAINT MARTIN OF TOURS, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: West Coker

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Aug-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 263798

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEST COKER CP CHURCH STREET ST511S 9/240 Rendall Altar Tomb, in churchyard 10 metres South-West of South-West corner of tower, Church of Saint Martin of Tours - GV II

Altar Tomb. 1840. Portland stone. About 0.75 metre square and 1.2 metre high. Moulded base, one fielded panel each face, four gabled top with anthemion corner acroteria. Commemorates Israel Rendell, died 1840, who founded the twine works in East Street (qv) and also built Milbrook House (qv), and others of his family. Paved surround with 150mm high kerb, on which are set spear headed wrought iron railings, with occasional urn finials. (VAG Report on Cross House, unpublished SRO, 1972).

Listing NGR: ST5162913562

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Vernacular Architecture Group Report' in Vernacular Architecture Group Report, (1972)

National Grid Reference: ST 51629 13562

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057145 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2017 at 04:21:16.

End of official listing