- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- COKER COURT
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057176.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 29-Sep-2020 at 16:07:34.
- Statutory Address:
- COKER COURT
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Somerset (District Authority)
- East Coker
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 53844 12164
ST5312 EAST COKER CP
11/107 Coker Court (formerly listed as Clare School
Manor house, now divided into several properties. C15 with major C18 addition end extended c1900. C18 portion by Sir William Chambers. Ham stone rubble coursed, extension rendered, ashlar dressings; stone tiled roofs between coped gables (hipped on extension); stone chimney stacks (some rendered). North and East elevations, of C15 and C18 respectively, both of 7 bays of 1-and 2-storeys (with attics). North elevation bay 1 is the hipped end of C18 portion, with blind venetian window below and semi-circular 3-light window above: bay 2 the C15 oriel, with projecting gable, angled offset buttresses, pointed arched 2-light tracieried window with transome, diamond leaded panes and external ferramenta, under hood mould: bays 3, 4, and 5 have similar windows separated by full-height offset buttresses: bay-6 the projecting porch, with angled offset buttresses, gable with coping and cross finial, with 2-order pointed arched doorway with label square stopped, 2-light traceried window with label over: bay 7 has early C20 hollow chamfer mullioned windows with cusped arched lights, 5-light below and 3-light above. West gable has similar windows at both levels on either side of projecting chimney stack; beyond this small projecting 1-bay wing with small cambered arched doorway having plain rectangular chamfered window alongside, and to first floor a C15/16 window on West gable of same. To South and West again a 4-bay extension of circa 1900, originally a servants' wing and now a separate residence, and a return open colonnade both in harmony with the earlier work. To the East is the C18 block by Chambers, with a rendered facade of 7 bays of which the centre 3 bays project, and have a crowning pediment into which is set a semi-circular 3-light window, and flanked by two pedieented dormer windows: the first floor windows are 12-pane sashes, the ground floor also sashes but the glazing bars have been removed. Internally entrance is through the screens passage with chamfered pointed arches to right, but left 2 semi-circular arches of an early C17 screen/ gallery built for Archdeacon Helyar, purchaser of the manor in 1616; faced on the hall side with double Tuscan columns with lozenge decoration to frieze and door arches. The hall of 5-bays with open arch-braced and windbraced collar trussed roof, somewhat restored circa 1900, fireplace of C17 matching the screen, and oriel to North East bay which has a C15 flat beam and rib timber ceiling. Stairs from the South East corner lead into the main drawing room and staircase, both typical and good C18 work. The stone cantilever stairs have a good dentilled cornice ceiling above them: 2 of the bedrooms they lead to have Chinese decoration, one of wallpaper, the other - from which the wallpaper has gone; has fine Chinese style laquerwork on doors, fireplace, pelmets etc. A very fine example in which either major portion would merit the high grading: the additional parts are of supporting interest and group value. (Country Life, 2 January 1909; SANHS Proceedings, Vol 76 part I page 56, 1930).
Listing NGR: ST5384412164
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
'Country Life' in 2 January, (1909)
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, , Vol. 76, (1930), 56
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing