ST ROCH COTTAGE WITH ATTACHED METHODIST CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1057182

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Aug-1984

Statutory Address: ST ROCH COTTAGE WITH ATTACHED METHODIST CHAPEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST ROCH COTTAGE WITH ATTACHED METHODIST CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057182 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 09:01:03.

Location

Statutory Address: ST ROCH COTTAGE WITH ATTACHED METHODIST CHAPEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: East Coker

National Grid Reference: ST 54122 12351

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST5412 EAST COKER CP

12/115 St Roch Cottage with attached Methodist Chapel (formerly listed as pair of cottages 25 yards North East of Helyar Arms Hotel) 19.4.61

GV II

Cottages with Chapel. Dated 1713 on facade. Local stone rubble with Ham stone quoins and dressings; thatch between coped gables; brick end and intermediate chimney stacks. 'U' plan, of several dates. Single storey with attics; South elevation of 4-bays. Bay 1 has pointed leaded wooden windows with 'Y' tracery in a projecting gable, with plain doorway to right-hand side; bays 2 and 4 have plain timber leaded casements, between which is a plain door under a thatched porch. Chapel is extension Eastwards nearest road; further parallel extension has been 1 and 2 separate cottages. Interiors not seen, but reported that roof contains re-used jointed crucks and other timbers; original plan thought to be 2-room with cross passage. Datestone GH 1713 on South elevation seems genuine. (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, 1976).

Listing NGR: ST5412212351

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 263673

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Vernacular Architecture Group Report' in Vernacular Architecture Group Report, (1976)

End of official listing