CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1057236
Date first listed:
19-Apr-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057236 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 20:27:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Closworth
National Grid Reference:
ST 54787 11123

Details

ST51SW CLOSWORTH CP SUTTON BINGHAM 4/45 Church of All Saints 19.4.61

- I

Church. C12 and C13. Local stone rubble coursed, with Ham stone dressings, chancel and West walls partly rendered; plain clay tiles with scalloped tile bands to chancel, stone slates to nave and porch, with gable copings to extremities only. 2-cell plan with North porch, 2-bay chancel and 3-bay nave. Chancel rebuilt circa 1250 in simple style; East window 2-light later style plate tracery with Quatrefoil circle under pointed label, plain lancet in North wall, 2 cusped rather wide lancets in South wall. Nave of original church built in 1111; with cusped lancet, narrow semi- circular headed window and round headed doorway between, now blocked with simple window inserted; West gable has two offset buttresses to eaves level, and a 2-light rather long window with probably early C14 tracery above which are two round-arched niches for bell, one of which said to be circa 1250; on North side two very slim windows, one round- headed, one pointed. North porch very simple with outer chamfered semi- circular arch of uncertain date; bench seats; inner arch has roll and dog-tooth orders, capitals apparently cut away, plain tympanum with later statue bracket and headless statue said to be of French origin, old plank door with simple ironwork of uncertain date. Internally, the chancel has a plastered barrel vault ceiling, trefoil rere-arches to all side windows, and C13/C14 wall paintings to all window reveals and the North wall, Coronation of the Virgin, rather touched-up in places, as well as the chancel arch, 'ashlar' with floral pattern. Chancel arch of 3 orders including dog-tooth and chevron decoration, scalloped and carved capitals. Nave has simple arch supported collar trusses in 4-bays, with 3 purlins each slope, formerly with plaster barrel vault ceiling; plain chamfer window reveals; C13/C14 wall painting on North wall featuring Death of Virgin Mary; round tub font with cable mould on turned base. Very little obvious restoration to fabric.

Listing NGR: ST5478511124

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
263603
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/09223/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jason Brister. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].