THE ALCOVE OR CLOCK TOWER, ABOUT 20 METRES WEST OF BRYMPTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1057264
Date first listed:
19-Apr-1961
Date of most recent amendment:
27-Oct-1987
Statutory Address:
THE ALCOVE OR CLOCK TOWER, ABOUT 20 METRES WEST OF BRYMPTON HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE ALCOVE OR CLOCK TOWER, ABOUT 20 METRES WEST OF BRYMPTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057264 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 00:19:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE ALCOVE OR CLOCK TOWER, ABOUT 20 METRES WEST OF BRYMPTON HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Brympton
National Grid Reference:
ST 51926 15438

Details

ST5115 BRYMPTON D'EVERCY CP 10/11 The Alcove, or The Clock Tower, about 20 metres west of Brympton House (formerly listed as Alcove in Garden E. of Stables at Brympton House) 19.4.61 GV II Clock tower with shelter under. Erected 1723, but reusing parts of the C16/early C17 porch removed from Brympton House (q.v) in 1722; clock tower later C18. Ham stone ashlar; stone slate roof between coped gables; ashlar bell turret. Square plan, 1 bay each face, 2 storeys set into rising ground. Principal front to south, facing onto forecourt of house, with semi-circular arch to ground floor with rusticated lozenge decoration, moulded imposts and keystone, flanked by Doric pilasters carrying plain entablature, the cornice over continued as a string to east and west sides; above a small quatrefoil panel with Sydenham arms set upside-down, and clockface in gable. On east side, a 2-light chamfer-mullioned window in recess, no label, unworked top mitres, with diamond-leaded glazing. On north side a boarded door in 3-centre-arched opening, with label over, approached by vertical timber ladder; above, on this face, the bellcote, a somewhat simplified copy of that to St. Andrew's Church (q.v), with plain single openings to east and west, and cruciform openings north and south, moulded eaves and hipped stepped stone roof. Date plaque set high in west wall. Base said to have been a shelter for visitor's horses; the clock reputed to be the oldest outside timepiece in the West Country still in working order. (Country Life, 26th November, 1898, 30th November, 1907, 7th and 14th May 1927; Clive-Ponsonby-Fane, C, Brympton D'Evercy, Brympton Estate, 1980).

Listing NGR: ST5192715437

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
263461
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Fane, C C P, Brympton D'Evercy Brympton Estates, (1980)
'Country Life' in 30 November, (1907)
'Country Life' in 14 May, (1927)
'Country Life' in 26 November, (1898)
'Country Life' in 7 May, (1927)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 37 Somerset,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11976/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Roberts. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].