CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1057319
Date first listed:
06-Apr-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057319.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2019 at 17:28:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
West Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Exford
National Park:
EXMOOR
National Grid Reference:
SS 85765 38503

Details



SS83NE EXFORD CP CHURCH HILL (North side) 13/3 Church of St Mary Magdalene 6.4.69

GV II*

Parish church. Tower mid C15, south aisle 1532-42, nave and chancel largely rebuilt and porch added 1867, church restored 1893, vestry screen added 1924, organ presented 1924, pulpit 1929, medieval screen reassembled 1929. Red sandstone random rubble, coursed on tower, slate hung west end of aisle, slate roofs, decorative ridge tiles to aisle only, no coped verges except to porch. West tower, 3-bay nave, 4-bay south aisle, south porch and chancel. Crenellated 3-stage tower, moulded plinth, full height diagonal buttresses, moulded string courses, trefoil headed 2-light louvred bell openings, 3-light west window with angel and devil terminals to hood mould and angel above, carved hood moulds to 4-centred arch head west doorway, north-east crenellated stair turret; south aisle 3-light cinquefoil headed mullions, one left and 2 right of single storey gabled and unbuttressed C19 porch, pointed arch opening with colonettes, moulded pointed arch inner doorway with C19 door; stepped buttress between second and third bays, 3-light east window to aisle, south chancel wall unlit, 5-light east window, three 3-light windows on north front, chancel buttressed. Interior: rendered. Four-bay Perpendicular arcade of clustered columns with vineleaf decorated capitals. No chancel arch; chamfered, semi-circular tower arch filled by panelled screen dated 1923 forming vestry. C19 arch braced roofs. C19 auabry and stone reredos. Organ in eastern end of south aisle designed by Sir Niniam Comper with painted Giorgionesque panels from a private house, presented 1924. Good Perpendicular octagonal font. Parish chest dated in studs 1772. Tablet to Robert Baker died 1730. C15 screen from the demolished medieval church of St Audries, West Quantoxhead, fanvaulted with remains of 4 friezes, 6 and 2 half bays with double doors, ressembled 1929. Formerly known as the Church of St Salvyn. (Photograph in NMR; Kelly's Directory, 1906; Allen, The Churches and Chapels of Exmoor, 1974).

Listing NGR: SS8576538503

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
265416
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Allen, NV , The Churches and Chapels of Exmoor, (1974)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1906)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Sep 2000
Reference: IOE01/02508/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr R.M Rayner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].