Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1057497
Date first listed: 22-May-1969
Statutory Address: Combe Sydenham
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057497 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2019 at 20:53:02.
Statutory Address: Combe Sydenham
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: West Somerset (District Authority)
National Park: EXMOOR
National Grid Reference: ST 07612 36743
STOGUMBER CP COMBE SYDENHAM Combe Sydenham
22.5.69 I Manor house. Late C15-early C16, porch added 1580 to south front, west front refenestrated, at least two stair turrets added 1580 or circa 1630-40, another stair inserted in angle turret circa 1800, south front refenestrated and buildings to north and east demolished, C19 west wing and possibly south wing reroofed. Roughcast over rubble, moulded plinth, Ham stone ashlar porch, slate roof hipped to left.
Plan: South front open hall, now ceiled, screens passage opening from porch, buttery right, stair turret at rear of fireplace to left of screen passage, west wing first floor hall, later stair inserted in second stair turret set in angle.
South front: two storeys, 4:1:1 bays; full height gabled porch, early C19 leaded wooden casements, four-light in outer bays, others three-light, four-light ovolo moulded mullioned and transomed window to porch, coat of arms in decorative frame below, inscribed and dated 1580, unfluted Ionic pilasters on tall plinths carrying billetted frieze, moulded semi-circular arched opening with busts set in roundels in spandrels, ornamented cross vault, more complex mouldings with stops to similar arched inner doorway, heraldic beasts in spandrels,studded plank door possibly C17, left return (West front) half hipped to left roughcast with quoins,single storey stepped buttresses, large external stepped stack between first and second bays right. 3:4:1 bays,all windows under square hood moulds, first floor left three sixteen-light ovolo moulded mullioned and transomed windows, twelve pane sash windows centre, mullioned and transomed windows left, cinquefoil headed lancet right filled with decorative design said to represent earlier formal garden layout on west front, two hollow chamfered mullioned and transomed windows right with cinquefoil heads, arched entrance with plank door. Gothic tracery fanlight, two similar windows right, inner one blocked below cusped head.
Cross gabled three storey stair turret on rear elevation, twelve pane sash windows on south front, two storey stair turret to left, presumed to have had a now demolished upper storey.
Interior: partially viewed. Remains of late C16-early C17 plasterwork friezes, early C19 plasterwork decoration to staircase with stick stair and cut strips, fine stone newel stair in turret to rear of hall fireplace, depressed Tudor arched head to fireplace lintel moulded jambs,similar two openings to buttlery right, and truncated stair turret; screens passage and opening to stair turret in angle with semi-circular moulded arched leads similar to porch. Upper storey south wing not viewed, hall roof thought to have been renewed C19; west wing gutted prior to restoration (January 1984).
The daughter of Sir Georqe Sydenham, who enlarged the house, married Sir Francis Drake.
(Photograph in NMR).
Listing NGR: ST0761236743
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 264921
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1985)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing