CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1057656

Date first listed: 07-Jul-1989

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GILES, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057656 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 09:00:54.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GILES, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: North East Derbyshire (District Authority)

Parish: Killamarsh

National Grid Reference: SK 46120 80966

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PARISH OF KILLAMARSH CHURCH LANE SK 48 SE 3/171 Church of St Giles GV II* Parish Church. C12, C14, C15, with additions of 1895 by J M Brooks. Massive ashlar sandstone tower, nave of coursed coal measures sandstone, chancel of more evenly coursed sandstone, additions of 1895 in magnesian limestone. Concrete tiles to nave roof, elsewhere Welsh slates. Tower, nave, nave south porch, north aisle, chancel and vestry. Two stage Perp tower, rising from a two-stage moulded plinth, and with a moulded stringcourse between stages. Diagonal buttresses to corners of west wall, rising to the top of the first stage. Bell stage with pointed arched 2-light Perp windows with restored tracery below a simple hoodmould. Above, a stringcourse incorporating grotesque spouts. Embattled parapet with C19 crocketed finials. Stair tower to south-west corner, within eliptically arched head to doorway and lighting slits to each stage. 3-light west window with simple Y-tracery and cusping appears earlier than the Perp date for the tower. Gabled south porch with simple arched opening encloses C12 doorway with a single order of colonnettes, foliated capitals and a semi-circular arch with double chevron decoration. Within the decorated arch, a segmental arch with chamfers and plain plank double doors. Stone sundial to gable apex, cusped lancets to east wall and stone benches within. Four bay nave with two 3-light restored Perp windows, with pointed heads, with hoodmould above. Plain rendered parapet below which is evidence of an earlier clerestory. Moulded C19 coping to parapet. Mid C19 chancel rising from elaborately moulded plinth. Cross finial to leaded coping. Single sidewall lancet to south wall with hoodmould and foliage stops. Moulded stringcourse below cills. Vestry of 1895 with link to chancel, moulded copings to gables and a small octagonal chimney to side wall. Perp style windows of 3 and 4-lights. Contemporary north aisle with plain chamfered plinth, of three bays, with continuous stringcourses linking heads and cills. Three 4-light Perp-style windows with ogee headed lights between stilted segmental arches. Stepped buttresses beneath windows. Interior almost entirely C19 but the chancel south window contains a recently restored C15 stained glass window representing the Virgin and Child. Chancel east window by Warrington, 1845.

Listing NGR: SK4612080966

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 79655

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing