CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1057972
Date first listed:
22-May-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1057972 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 18:38:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
West Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Brompton Ralph
National Grid Reference:
ST 08504 32347

Details

ST03SE BROMPTON RALPH CP BROMPTON RAPH VILLAGE 6/4 Church of St Mary 22.5.69

GV II*

Parish church. C15 tower and south door, nave refenestrated and vestry added C16, church said to be largely rebuilt l738, tower restored 1797 and 1804, north aisle added 1847, chancel rebuilt, church reroofed and restored 1881 by Samuel Shewbroors of Taunton, builder. Red sandstone random rubble, rendered in part, red sandstone dressings, slate roofs, caper verges. West tower, 4-bay nave with north aisle, south porch, north-east vestry and chancel. Crenellateo 3-stage tower, diagonal buttresses, 2-light trefoil headed bell openings with Somerset tracery, string course, lancet on south face, string course, 2-light west window, no west door, stair turret in north-east corner; south front with C19 hoodmoulds, lancet to left of single storey gabled porch, pointed arched opening chamfered in 2 orders and dying into imposts, pointed arch inner doorway, chamfered in 2 orders, right large C16 4-light cinquefoil headed mullioned window with moulded surround, to right long C19 window, large buttress, 2-light windows with quatrefoil decoration to spandrels in diagonally buttressed chancel, 3-light east window, 2-light mullioned window with decorated spandrels in vestry, pointed arch doorway on north front, butt-joint at junction with north aisle, four 2-light windows between buttresses. Interior: rendered. C19 chancel arch, double chamfered jambs, largely obscured by screen but letters BOA visible on south jamb, CHIN on north jamb, C19 arcade with pointed arches chamfered in 2 orders and clustered columns; tower arch pointed and chamfered; chamfered and pointed arch to turret stair with late medieval studded plank door with long hinges. C19 roofs, boarded barrel vault to chancel, arch braced to nave, lean-to roof in aisle with archbracing resting on corbels. Late medieval rood screen of 3:2:3 bays partly reconstructed to design by F Bligh Bond, executed by A C Toms in memory of Robert Toms 1963. Jacobean panelling used as reredos. Rare example of dated altar rails, turned balusters and moulded handrail inscribed "Edward Hobbes Gent and Roger Bishop Churchwardens Anno Domini 1667". C17 chest. C16 benches in nave, detached piece of wood dated 1596, benches in north aisle C19 copies. Late C18-early C19 panelled pulpit. Octagonal font with carved panels of decoration on bowl and one panel begun at base of bowl, said to be C16; C17 flat ribbed cover. Two painted boards dated 1821 with names of churchwardens and the Ten Commandments; another wooden board detailing the 1881 restoration. Memorial tablet with draped urn signed T King of Bath to Thomas Canplin died 1780: tablet to Meredith Powell died 1642. Carving chair with coat of arms in sanctuary, possibly C18. Organ said to have been inserted 1910. The design by Bligh Bond for restoration of screen with or without attic is hung in vestry. The VCH comments that there is no evidence to support Pevsner's assertion that the architect of the 1881 rebuilding was one H Parsons. (VCH Somerset, Vol V, 1985; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958)

Listing NGR: ST0850432347

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
265590
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1985)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/03507/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Gareth Morgan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].