CHURCH OF ST LUKE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1058030

Date first listed: 06-Apr-1959

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LUKE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LUKE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1058030 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 03:18:26.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LUKE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Exmoor

National Park: EXMOOR

National Grid Reference: SS 77576 39429

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



SS73NE EXMOOR CP

SIMONSBATH 11/12 Church of St Luke 6.4.59

II - Church. Circa 1856. Architect unknown. Dressed lias, render grooved as ashlar to left of porch, slate hung west end, Ham stone dressings, stepped sill string course below windows, coved cornice, coped verges to chancel arch wall, slate roofs. Plan: 3-bay nave, bell-cote, south porch, chancel, north-east vestry. Early English style. Slate hung gabled bell-cote rising from central west end buttress pierced by 2 lancets, lower flanking butttresses with cement caps linked by high plinth, single storey gabled porch, pointed arch opening reached by flight of 4 steps, trefoil lights on returns, pointed arch inner doorway, double doors with decorative hinges, 2 paired lancets to nave, buttress, 3 lancets to chancel, set back buttresses, east window of 3 lancets, lancet north wall of chancel, lean-to roofed vestry, 2 lancets east side, shouldered doorway north front, 3 paired lancets to nave. Interior: rendered. Pointed chancel arch. Arched braced nave roof, collar beam to nave, in varnished pine as are all fittings and harmonium. The ecclesiastical parish was created in 1856 out of the Royal Forest of Exmoor and the memoirs of the first vicar, the Rev W H Thornton, 'Reminiscences of An Old West Country Clergyman' tell of its early days. (Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: SS7757639429

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 265425

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
Thornton, Reverend W H, Reminiscences of an Old West Country Clergyman

End of official listing