Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1058045

Date first listed: 28-Oct-1980

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Jan-1986

Statutory Address: BOSSINGTON PLACE


Ordnance survey map of BOSSINGTON PLACE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1058045 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 01:03:46.


Statutory Address: BOSSINGTON PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Porlock

National Park: EXMOOR

National Grid Reference: SS 89023 47035


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SS8947 PORLOCK CP DUNSTER STEEP 22/52 Bossington Place (formerly listed as New Place) 28.10.80

- II Country house, now hotel. 1890-2, extended 1922. By Edmund Buckle for Sir Charles Chadwyck-Healey, enlarged by Michael Waterhouse, Sandstone rubble, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges, large round stacks to left of entrance and a battered pair on right return flanking gable. E-plan. Elizabethan style. Two and a half and two storeys, gable fronted wings flanking full height gabled porch, 5 bays, 3-light attic window in wings, 12-light mullioned and transomed hall window with graduated lights to left of gable fronted porch, 6-light mullioned and transomed window, wall raked at to string course, coat of arms below moulded Tudor arch doorway, ribbed door, 3-light vertical light set in angle, right 3-light window above 6-light mullioned and transomed window. Interior contains polygonal plan galley with strapwork balustrade and ribbed plaster ceilings in hall, leatherwork frieze in dining room, and sitting room with heavy cross- beamed ceiling and patterned plaster ceiling. The punning rebus on the architect's name, a buckle is carved into the side of the porch on the north face. Sir Charles Chadwyck-Healey was Chancellor of the Diocess of Bath and Wells, Salisbury and Exeter and author of The History of the Part of West Somerset, 1901.

Listing NGR: SS8902347035


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 265465

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing