CHURCH OF ST MARY, CAUSEWAY BRIDGE, AND GATES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1058142
Date first listed:
11-Mar-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CAUSEWAY BRIDGE, AND GATES

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY, CAUSEWAY BRIDGE, AND GATES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1058142.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 01:07:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CAUSEWAY BRIDGE, AND GATES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Lullington
National Grid Reference:
ST 77328 50991, ST 77355 50989

Details

ST75SE LULLINGTON CP ORCHARDLEA PARK

4/197 Church of St. Mary, causeway bridge, and gates 11.3.68

GV I

Church. C13. Random rubble, stone slate roofs with coped verges, gabled bellcote to west end. Buttressed nave and chancel, buttressed early C19 north chapel, south porch; fabric rebuilt by Sir George Gilbert Scott, for Rev. W. A. Duckworth, supervised by J. O. Scott, 1878. Predominantly Decorated style, simple exterior, 2 and 3-light windows with a circle-in-bar tracery. Most remarkable exterior feature is priests door in a hollow moulded stone surround with a pointed-5-cusped head, a pointed trefoil set above. Interior on tile floors; north chapel entered through a low cusped archway formerly giving onto a tomb recess; chancel with much decoration, pointed trefoiled piscina to south side, trefoiled aumbry to north side with a seated figure of Christ, stone figures of a king and queen flank the altar, small corbel figures in the form of a monk and a nun on either side to hold the former lentern veil. Much stained glass of the mid C15 and early C16; east window with a tonsured figure flanked by angels; north and south chancel windows with 8 figures of the apostles and texts; window over priests door with a representation of the Holy Trinity; south window to nave with a winged ox and a winged lion representing St. Mark and St. Luke; west window with angels and figures, St. Michael in the tracery lights. Jacobean pulpit, early C14 circular font with leaf decoration and small seated figures. The church is on an island formed by the creation of the upper ornamental lake to Orchardlea Park. It is reached by a rubble bridge with a single semi-circular arch, wrought iron handrails, C19 wrought iron railed gate to each end. (SANHS, Vol 57i, 1911; Vol 39i, pages 28-29, 1893, Vol 86, pages 79-85, 1940).

Listing NGR: ST7735550991

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
267143
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, , Vol. 86, (1940), 79-85
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, (1911)
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, (1893)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/16946/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].