CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1058641

Date first listed: 02-Jun-1961

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1058641 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 17:09:37.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Mendip (District Authority)

Parish: Binegar

National Grid Reference: ST 61537 49454

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST64NW BINEGAR CP BINEGAR VILLAGE VILLAGE 12/1 Church of the Holy Trinity 2.6.61

GV II*

Anglican Parish Church. Norman establishment, rebuilt C15, rebuilt, except tower, 1858 for Rev William Heade. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, asbestos slate roofs, coped verges with finials. Wave, chancel, north transept, north organ chamber, north vestry, south porch, west tower. Perpendicular tower, remainder in Middle Pointed style. Three stage tower with diagonal buttresses rising to crenellated pinnacles, embattled parapet with an arcade of blind foiled niches, to west carved Trinity, polygonal stair turret to north with crenellated capping, 2-light bell-chamber windows with louvres, 2-light west window with renewed tracery, label, west door. Three bay nave, single and 2-light windows. Gabled porch. Two bay chancel, one, 2 and 3-light windows, to east with geometrical tracery. Interior plastered on flagstone floors, encaustic tile pavement to chancel. Triple-chamfered tower arch; moulded chancel arch on carved springers. C15 octagonal font; small Jacobean altar table; medieval stoup built into vestry wall. Remainder of fittings late Cl9 including choir stalls, altar rails, lectern, organ, pulpit and oil lamps. Pews of 1903. Stained glass to east window of 1913, remainder of windows with plain leaded lights. Cartouche of 1736; 5 main C19 wall monuments. Three early bells. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, North Somerset and Bristol, 1958; Church Guide).

Listing NGR: ST6153749454

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 268021

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Church of the Holy Trinity Church Guide
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

End of official listing