THE OLD PARSONAGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1058723
Date first listed:
22-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
THE OLD PARSONAGE, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD PARSONAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1058723 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jul-2019 at 05:56:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD PARSONAGE, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Walton
National Grid Reference:
ST 46112 36288

Details

WALTON CP MAIN STREET (South side) ST43NE

5/100 Nos 67 and 67A (The Old Parsonage) 22.11.66

GV II*

Postulated as a monastic manor courthouse with an attached, though separate, house for the rector of Street, (Walton once part of that Parish); now a single dwelling. C15 with much alteration, particularly virtually complete refenestration c1940 with imported C15 features. Rubble with roughcast; freestone dressings; coped verges; C20 stacks, predominantly brick. Two 2-storey rectangular ranges staggered and joined only at the angles where there is a vice; each range with a former hall on first floor. Perpendicular. Two 3-light stone-mullioned windows on Eastern side are original: each light with a cusped head, one window with a transom and stopped label; most of the other windows appear re-set. north-west range with fine semi-octagonal bay window to North gable, 2-storeyed with a tripartite tile roof, windows re-set. Two door openings to West, that to North range with a 2-centred moulded stone surround, directly adjacent an identical second doorway now blocked, C20 porch; that to south-west range via a shallow porch with a door opening in a moulded stone surround with a 4-centred head, moulded wooden inner doorframe with 4-centre head and carved spandrels, again both the latter 2 doorways appearing imported. Many interior features of the 1940 restoration including doors, doorways and probably all the fireplaces; the moulded ceiling to the South of the South range and the moulded coffered ceiling (partially obscured) to the north range are undoutedly original. Roof to South with arch-braced collar trusses; that to North with collar and tie-beam trusses. (Extract from the Terrier of the Glebe Lands, 1621; W A Pantin, Medieval Archaeology, Volume 1, 1958; Pevsner N, Buildings of England, 1958; VAG Report, undated, unpublished; D B Sumpster, D.o.E. report, 3 November 1977).

Listing NGR: ST4611236288

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
267808
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Terrier of the Glebe Lands, (1621)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
'Medieval Archaeology' in Medieval Archaeology, , Vol. 1, (1958)
'Vernacular Architecture Group Report' in Vernacular Architecture Group Report, ()
'Medieval Archaeology' in Medieval Archaeology, , Vol. 1, (1958)
Other
Sumpster, DB , 3 November, (1977)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Sep 2005
Reference: IOE01/14652/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].