CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1058924
Date first listed:
29-Mar-1963
Date of most recent amendment:
09-Jan-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, FORE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1058924 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 03:24:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, FORE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Sedgemoor (District Authority)
Parish:
North Petherton
National Grid Reference:
ST 29028 33021

Details

ST23SE NORTH PETHERTON CP FORE STREET (South side)

7/76 Church of St. Mary (formerly listed as North Petherton Church) 29.3.63

GV I

Anglican Parish church. Dedicated C12, C15, early C16; alterations 1834-9 by Richard Carver and later C19 restoration. Random rubble and ashlar, slate and lead sheeting roofs, coped verges and crenellated parapets. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles continuing east as chapels clasping the chancel, north and south porches, west tower, east sacristy. Perpendicular. Tower one of the finest in the county; 3-stages, set-back buttresses with 3 tiers of tall pinnacles, embattled and quatrefoiled parapet, quatrefoiled bands between the stages; west doorway flanked by niches, one with remains of a figure, quatrefoil frieze above with transomed 4-light window over, tracery also below the transom. On the north and south sides of the bottom stage further statuettes in niches; second stage with 3-light transomed windows with Somerset tracery; third stage with lavish bell openings, Somerset tracery, traceried panelling above; low stair turret to south. All windows large with pointed arch heads, 3 and 4-lights; clerestory to nave with 3-light windows; single storey sacristy. Inside of porch with corbels carved as angels. Scraped interior under panelled roofs, tower with fan vault; some corbels carved as angels. Five bay arcades, with piers of 4-hollows section, circular capitals to the shafts; studded with small rosettes. Lofty panelled tower arch and west arches to the chancel chapels of the same type; arches between chapels and chancel have as east responds the busts of angels. Perpendicular pulpit, C14 font, the former with fine traceried panels. Balcony gallery opening to south aisle from upper floor of the porch, dated 1623 with figure of Father Time. Two carved bench ends in nave dated 1596 and 1629. Carved door to sacristy. Carved sculpture, known as Samson, over tower clock, originally carried pulpit. Brass to nave floor to Katherine Morley obit. 1652; matrices of 2 further medieval brasses remain. Fine screen of 1909 in Perpendicular style. Some C19 stained glass; window by Kempe; 2 C20 windows by Sir Henry Holiday (Pevsner N., Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; VCH forthcoming).

Listing NGR: ST2902833021

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
269339
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1906)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Dec 2002
Reference: IOE01/09407/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].