BARFORD HOUSE AND OUTBUILDING WING AT REAR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1058941

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1963

Statutory Address: BARFORD HOUSE AND OUTBUILDING WING AT REAR, BARFORD PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARFORD HOUSE AND OUTBUILDING WING AT REAR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1058941 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 06:36:42.

Location

Statutory Address: BARFORD HOUSE AND OUTBUILDING WING AT REAR, BARFORD PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor (District Authority)

Parish: Enmore

National Grid Reference: ST 23350 35883

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST23NW ENMORE CP BARFORD PARK

2/14 Barford House and outbuilding wing at rear 29.3.63 II*

Small country house in a landscaped park. Circa 1710 for Jeanes family on an earlier farmhouse core; altered with added wings and an attic storey c1740; minor late C18 and C19 work; restored post 1958; 2 metal pennants, dated:- "J.G. 1666" and "A.G. 1775". Local red brick of several different hues, Flemish bond, some moulded, rubble core; freestone dressings; slate roofs, some bitumenised, large brick stacks with moulded caps; 2 ridge lanterns, one on a base formed by a brick stack, arcaded with cupola and a pennant, the other conforming though executed in fibreglass. Symmetrical, main block rectangular on plan, flanking quadrant wings; Baroque. Centre portion of 2 storeys and attic, 5 bays, rusticated ashlar quoins to ground and first floor, plinth band, moulded first floor band, moulded and dentilled cornice at attic floor level; attic storey with end pilasters, parapet with moulded capping, corner urns. Twelve-pane sash windows to ground and first floor in moulded cambered head architraves with keys, sills on consoles; 6-pane sash windows in moulded architraves to second floor. Central architrave door opening, triangular pediment on consoles; half- glazed door, paired panelled inner doors. Single storey wings; frieze and moulded cornice, tall parapet with a coping. End elevation of each with a pedimented gable, coping ramped over with pedestal; under each two 12-pane sash windows with thick glazing bars, moulded architraves similar to main block; circular window to tynpanum; brick corner pilasters and pilasters at intervals flanking an arcade of blank semi- circular head niches with emphasised imposts. Returns and rear in plain style; some 12-pane sash windows similar to front, some 2-light casements, some with leaded lights; 2 storey bow. Single storey rubble outbuilding at right angles to rear. Interior with simple cornices; flagged entrance hall; 3 good chimney pieces to ground floor, further C19 chimney piece; dining room with panelled chimney-breast; staircase; 6-panelled doors. (Country Life, November 7, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST2335035883

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 269274

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 7 November, (1974)

End of official listing