This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WALLING AND GATEWAY, WITH ATTACHED COACH HOUSE TO NORTH SIDE OF FORMER STABLE YARD OF HALSWELL HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WALLING AND GATEWAY, WITH ATTACHED COACH HOUSE TO NORTH SIDE OF FORMER STABLE YARD OF HALSWELL HOUSE

List entry Number: 1058951

Location

WALLING AND GATEWAY, WITH ATTACHED COACH HOUSE TO NORTH SIDE OF FORMER STABLE YARD OF HALSWELL HOUSE, HALSWELL PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Goathurst

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Jul-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Jan-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 269302

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST23SE GOATHURST CP HALSWELL PARK

walling and gateway, with 7/40 attached coach house to north side of former stable yard of Halswell House (previously listed as Coach House) 28.7.50 GV II

Walling, gateway and attached coach house. C18. Driveway entrance to stable yard with gateway, ashlar piers with pyramidal caps, plain paired wrought-iron gates with spear caps. Section of brick-faced rubble wall to each side. That to left attached to brick and rubble coach house; crenellated parapet, hipped slate roof; oblong on plan, plain style, 3 semi-circular head openings with stone keys and imposts, double wooden doors in each. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Soaerset, 1958; Country Life, Nov. 21, 1908; Collinson, Somerset 1, 1791; VCH Somerset II, 1911; Garden History, V, 3, 1977; Jones B., Follies and Grottoes, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST2537033741

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Collinson, J, History and Antiquities of the County of Somerset, (1791)
Jones, B, Follies and Grottoes, (1974)
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1911)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
'Country Life' in 21 November, (1908)
'Garden History' in Number 5, (1977)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 37 Somerset,

National Grid Reference: ST 25370 33741

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1058951 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-May-2018 at 08:29:33.

End of official listing