JOURNAL CHAMBERS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1059032

Date first listed: 12-Jul-1972

Statutory Address: JOURNAL CHAMBERS, 28 AND 30, PELHAM STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of JOURNAL CHAMBERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059032 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 07:20:25.

Location

Statutory Address: JOURNAL CHAMBERS, 28 AND 30, PELHAM STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Nottingham (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 57450 39914

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 19/09/2017

SK5739NW 646-1/20/493

NOTTINGHAM PELHAM STREET (South side) Nos.28 AND 30 Journal Chambers 12/07/72 GV II Former offices of the Nottingham Journal, now shops and offices. 1860. By R.C Clarke of Nottingham. Late C20 alterations. Red brick with ashlar and polychrome brick dressings and plain tile roof. Gothic Revival style. Enriched sill bands and bracketed cornice. three storeys plus attics; four window range of pointed arched two-light windows with shafts and polychrome heads. Above, eight smaller single windows with impost band. Above again, four steeply gabled wooden dormers with cusped two-light windows. Ground floor has a type of shop front with crazy paving floors and sloping display fronts that was fashionable in the late 1950s/early 1960s. Once ubiquitous, these are getting increasingly rare. Plaque on first floor to Sir James Barrie, who worked here 1883-84.

Listing NGR: SK5745039914

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 458491

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 233

End of official listing