Church of St Mary

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1059059
Date first listed:
29-Mar-1963
Statutory Address:
Church of St Mary, Church Street

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Mary
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059059 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jul-2019 at 18:06:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Mary, Church Street

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Sedgemoor (District Authority)
Parish:
Cannington
National Grid Reference:
ST 25793 39524

Details

ST23NE 12/9

CANNINGTON CP CHURCH STREET(East side) Church of St Mary

(formerly listed under General)

29.3.63

GV I Parish church. Tower late C14, remainder rebuilt early C15, restored 1840 by Richard Carver, further C19 alterations. Coursed red sandstone rubble, freestone dressings, large slate roof overall, embattled parapets to aisles, prominent gargoyles. All Perpendicular; nave with north and south aisles, which partially clasp the west tower, south porch, rood stair turret to north, chancel with north vestry.

Embattled four-stage west tower, set-back buttresses, two-light bell-chamber windows; west doorway flanked by two pairs of gabled niches and a further niche set over. Five bay arcaded nave, three-light windows with transoms. Tall south porch with a stoup, panelled south doorway. Nave arcade with tall piers of four-hollows section; moulded tower arch, above the marks of an earlier and lower nave roof; short chancel with no chancel arch, five-light west window. Scraped interior, wagon roof to nave/chancel with ribs and coloured bosses, lean-to roof to north and south aisles with angel corbels. Upper entrance to rood evident. Earliest feature a composite pier with an attached shalt, now in the vestry.

Particularly fully fitted interior including a late C14/early C15 octagonal font; C15 rood and par close screens with C19 refurbishment; restored C15 pulpit on a C19 base; in the chancel a foiled piscina and an aumbry, further piscina to south aisle; reredos of 1893 by Powells with encaustic panels, further encaustic tiles to chancel floor; C18 wrought-iron screen to north aisle formerly around tomb of Hugh, second Lord Clifford, by Edney of Bristol; royal arms of Charles II over south door; two C17 chests, C17 altar table to south aisle, two C17 coffin stools, two pews incorporating much C17 work; altar frontal of C18 under tower; C19 choir stalls and pews; C19 stained glass; fragment of a medieval brass to chancel; three C18 tablets; further C19 tablets; members of Pym family buried in south aisle.

The church is directly adjacent to Cannington Court (qv) and is postulated as the former church of a house of Benedictine Nuns which existed on that site, founded c1138.

Listing NGR: ST2579639533

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
268856
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1985)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/13824/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John H. Sparkes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].