CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1059161
Date first listed:
02-Jun-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, BRUTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059161 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 03:23:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, BRUTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Milton Clevedon
National Grid Reference:
ST 66456 37788

Details

ST63NE VEDON CP BRUTON ROAD (East side, off) 8/249 Church of St. James 2.6.61 GV II*

Anglican parish church, Parts ofer rebuilt 1790, extensively restored cl865. Coursed and squared rubble and ashlar, freestone dressings, tile roofs, coped verges, finials. Nave, chancel, north and south transepts, south porch, west tower, Gothic survival and neo-Perpendicular. Three stage tower with diagonal buttresses, pierced par; pinnacles, 2-light bell-chamber windows, Y-tracery, stone grilles; further 2-light window to west, datestone 1790, inscription plaque, west doorway altered mid C19, early/mid C19 memorial plaque onee bay nave, 3-light traceried pointed-arch windows, north and south doorways, to north blocked, to s set over with figures. Transepts with traceried 2 and 3-light pointed arch windows, parapets with copith a C17 and 2 C18 external monuments. Single bay chancel, 2 and 3-light traceried pointed arch wr plastered on tile, encaustic tile and flagstone floors. Elaborate Cl9 roofs on C19 carved corbels. Pan tower, chancel, and transepts, those to tower and north transept appear entirely C19, whilst chancel arcouth transept appear to be C15. Interior fittings predominantly of the restoration including elaborate d font with cover; pews, choir-stalls, altar rails, reredos with painted decalogue panels, lectern, oil l, small organ, high quality stained glass. Recumbent stone full-sized effigy of 3 priest to north side 325, the face re-cut. Small amount of medieval stained glass to top lights on north transept window pedestal in south transept, inscription, Norman style though probably C18. Jacobean cupboard which appears eated from a small altar table; Jacobean chest; restored C17 chair. Good early C18 wall monument to Susan marble, with central urn under a canopy of curtains, open segmental pediment on fluted pilasters, in high quality lettering. Three C19 wall monuments. Five bells. (Pevsner, N., Buildings of England, South set, l958; Photographs in NMR; SANHS Proceedings, 24, i, 42).

Listing NGR: ST6645637788

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
268463
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, (), 1
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, ()

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/10570/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Neil Bentham. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].