CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1059248
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059248 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 20:13:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Taunton Deane (District Authority)
Parish:
Bishop's Lydeard
National Grid Reference:
ST 16796 29761

Details

ST1629 BISHOP'S LYDEARD CP CHURCH STREET (West side)

10/15 Church of St Mary

25.2.55

GV I

Parish Church. Some late C14 work, mainly late C15, chancel and North aisle rebuilt, latter extended one bay and vestry added 1860-62 by Jeboult of Taunton. Coursed and squared Lydeard red sandstone, random rubble chancel, Ham stone dressings, moulded plinth, slate roofs with coped verges, nave decorative ridge tiles, C19 patterned slate roof on chancel. Four bay nave, transepts, chancel, 4 bay North and South aisles, South porch, West tower. The church is noted for its fine tower with pierced tracery battlements, pinnacles, set back buttresses terminating in pinnacles at the bell-storey, pinnacles also on the buttresses at each stage. Two 3-light double tier bell openings with Somerset tracery and corbelled pinnacles on all faces, third stage single 2-light window with Somerset tracery, small window below at second stage, 5-light two tier window above West door, 4 centred arched opening with square surround and decorative spandrels - C19 renewed in Ham stone. Stair turret in North-east corner. All windows 3-light perpendicular. North aisle crenellated with gable incorporated at West end but rising behind crenellated parapet at East end, gargoyles and rood stair turret. North aisle without crenellations mid C19. South porch crenellated to East but filled out to form parapet at West end, pediment over entrance that contains remains of scratch clock. Perpendicular piers flanking moulding arched entrance, wagon roof and 4 centred arched doorway with C15 door with strap hinges transversing the width of the door. Interior: standard Perpendicular arcades, lower on North aisle, perhaps late C14 while taller South aisle contemporary with tower circa 1470, C15 wagon roof South aisle; exposed ribs and trusses of C15 wagon roof nave, ceiled above rood screen, painted and gilded; C19 scissor truss roof with arch braces on corbels in North aisle, ceiled wagon roof chancel C19. Painted baldacchino and painted decoration on jambs of chancel window, Ninian Comper, 1925. Fine early C16 rood screen with fan vaulting and tracery arcades, C19 painting and gilding, rood cross above by Comper l948. Jacobean pulpit on mid C19 stone stand. C15 octagonal font, restored mid Cl9 late C15 - early C16 bench ends. Collection of C18 wall tablets. Brass Nicholas Grebham, died 1598, Eleanor his wife, with their family. A fine tower and good collection of fittings. (SANHS Vols 44 and 54, 1898 and 1908; Lloyd Hughes Owens, The Church of St Mary the Virgin Bishops Lydeard, not dated; photographs in NMR).

Listing NGR: ST1679429762

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
270227
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hughes Owens, L, The Church of St Mary the Virgin Bishops Lydeard
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, (1908)
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, (1898)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/09282/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Penny. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].