CHURCH OF ST HELEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1059273
Date first listed:
18-Jul-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HELEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST HELEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1059273.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 17:30:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HELEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Berrick Salome
National Grid Reference:
SU 62376 94277

Details

BERRICK SALOME SU6294 7/3 Church of St. Helen 18/07/63

GV II*

Church. C11, C13, C14, remodelled C17, restored 1890 by A.M. Mowbray. Rendered rubble with limestone and brick dressings, some timber framing and tile hanging; old plain-tile roofs. Nave, chancel, south transept, west tower, and south porch. C14 chancel has 3-light east window, with intersecting tracery, and single-light ogee-headed side windows. C13 transept has lancet to east, and a 3-light south window with C17 chamfered-brick arched heads. South wall of nave has a C17 timber-framed porch (restored C19) sheltering a simple early-Romanesque doorway; to right is a tiny C11 window and, to left, a C17 window of 2 lights with chamfered-brick dressings. Above is a C19 dormer with gable on carved brackets. North wall of nave is largely obscured by a large vestry of 1890, but has a 3-light brick-mullioned window, with brick label, plus a 3-light dormer. Timber-framed tower is clad in C19 ornamental tile hanging and shingles, with arched framing at ground floor plus arched wooden belfry openings below a pyramid roof. Interior: chancel has a C14 ogee-headed piscina, with shelf, and a 7-canted roof with C19 panelling. Nave has a 4-bay roof, dated 1615, with upper and lower windbraces, 2 rows of ogee-moulded butt purlins, and elaborate double-collar trusses with queen struts, from which spring arched braces to a central pendant, plus curved upper struts. End trusses have tiebeans carrying rectangular framing with elaborate curved bracing. 2 intermediate trusses have inserted C19 tie beams with added queen struts and bracing. 2-bay transept roof has arched windbraces and an arch-braced collar truss, with added C19 tie beam, and is probably C15. Fittings include western gallery, with heavy turned balusters, dated 1676, and C17 oak panelled pews. Romanesque font has pattern of linked circles. Small area of medieval floor tiles. Interior of tower not inspected but probably C14/C15 framing. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.452).

Listing NGR: SU6237694277

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
248032
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 452

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/07039/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Dale Venn. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].